Sarracenia and Botrytis risk

chj93

Hello everybody :good2:

I would like to start by announcing that I think I ask too many questions on here sometimes, but as a lad I knew at school once said; 'Asking questions is good, that's how you learn things!

I've always been curious about the relationship between heat/humidity and botrytis risk. I can understand the logic in risking a botrytis outbreak if plants are kept shut up in a greenhouse during winter dormancy soaking in water when the weather is damp and mild. But take this time of year for example, some of my Sarracenia are starting spring re-growth but others are still dormant. If I was to put a still dormant plant into a greenhouse environment now for instance in order to induce growth, would I still be risking a Botrytis outbreak?

Even some of my Sarracenia that are now pitchering, could they too be susceptible to an attack in a greenhouse environment despite being in growth? If in both cases the answer is no, why is it only winter when a risk is present?

Thanks, Chris.

This question i tried to answer yesterday,but it wouldn't let me.

I believe i read some where it depends on the temperature,specifically between 2-4 degrees when other factors are good for it.ie still and damp.

It usually attacks weak clones or damaged plant tissue,which can occur whilst dividing in winter or early spring.If the plants are healthy they will be o.k in the greenhouse even when dormant.

It can attack soft new growth early in the year if it is damaged by late or particularly hard frosts once the plants are growing.

Some clones or crosses are more prone to get botrytis too,and too much fertilizer for certain species can induce an attack.

ada

Guest paul y

there is a product made by growth tech called bud rot stop, it is specifically designed to stop botrytis on flowering plants and It works each and every time without fail.

I have never used it on cps however and it may be fatal, someone on here with thousands of plants who could spare a few to test?

• 4 weeks later...

Prevention is the best:

Cleaning, a lot of sunlight, ventilation, draining substrate, cut dead leaves, remove dead leaves from the rhizome like an onion, do not fertilizer.

And maybe... using trichoderma (last resort)

Edited by Moi Vinnok