Tissue Culturing Photo Diary

Hello Everybody, I just signed up for this forum. I am interested in Carnivorous plants and also do a lot of tissue culturing. With this thread i wanted to give you guys an insight in my work. Hope you enjoy it. I'm sorry for the bad picture quality but i'm still working on a proper setup to get some nice pictures.

Capensis_wide_leaf_min.jpg

Drosera Capensis 'wide leaf' a selected clone of mine with very wide leafs

Cephalotus_Follicularis.jpg

A seedgrown culture of Cephalotus Follicuraris

D_Madagascriensis.jpg

Some Drosera Madagascariensis Calli

Dionaea_B52_min.jpg

A Culture of Dionaea B52 which i got from Labflytrap

Dionaea_cupped_trap_min.jpg

Dionaea cupped trap. I also got this from Labflytrap

N_Ampullaria_red_2.jpg

My biggest Nepenthes Ampullaria 'red' i will acclimate it soon

N_Ampullaria_red.jpg

Some of my Nepenthes Ampullaria 'red' which are currently on multiplication media

N_Inermis.jpg

A Nepenthes Inermis. I will soon replate it on multiplication media

Nepenthes_Glabrata_min.jpg

A Nepenthes Glabrata (Labflytrap) with a lot of shots

Spatulata.jpg

A jar of Drosera Spatulata var. Lovellae

Hope you enjoyed these pictures. I will upload more from time to time :-)

Best regards

Lukas

• Like 1

Lukas, very nice!  Do you think you can give more details?  For example, I'm interested in which media you are using at what concentration, which exoplanets you are using, and sterilization techniques etc.  Do you alter the hormone ratio at each stage?  Also, how long does it take for each stage approximately?  I've done seed flasking (of orchids), but I'm thinking of trying tissue culture.  I teach a plant biology course, and it would be cool if we could use CP for tissue culture lab.  If you have a recommendation about reading materials (either CP specific or tissue culture in general), I appreciate it, too.

Edited by naoki
  • Like 1

Hey Guys,

Thanks for welcoming me to the CPUK Community,

@naoki

For most CP 1/3 MS will work fine for Nepenthes i prefer to use 1/4. In my opinion they grow better with it.

For demonstation purpose i would recommend you to work with some dionaea seeds since they have a thick coat they're easy to sterilize. Working with explants is much more tricky in my opinion and i still have sometimes some trouble with them while sterilizing. Hormones are not always necessary for example most of the drosera species will multiply just fine even without any hormones. When working with nepenthes i prefer to use BAP for multiplication. you can leave them on hormones as long as you wish to. It's always depends on the mass of plants you want to produce. Only thing which is strongly advised to have your plantles for some months on hormone free media before deflasking. Theres no general rule for it, it always depends on the plants and how hormone rich media they were but in general i can say the longer the better.

Matt from Flytrapcare.com ( i think he's also in this forum) wrote an amazing article about tissue culture which helped me a lot when i began. I think you should check it out :-)

https://www.flytrapcare.com/tissue-culture-basics

Best regads

Lukas :-)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hey Guys, wish you all a happy new Year!

I thought why not use the chance of these few days off and give you some updated Pictures.

So here we go:

D. Capensis wide leaf 02-01-17.JPG

Here's how my selected clone of capensis 'wide leaf' looks now! Take a look at that amazing root system even tough this is plain MS without any Hormones.

D.M. B52 02-01-17.JPG

Here's a shot of one of my B52 Cultures. I really enjoy this cultivar! rapid growth on him. Can't wait to acclimatise these one day :-)

N. Glabrata 02-01-17.JPG

This one's my main N. Glabrata culture with five shoots. I got one more of these guys.

N. Glabrata Callus 02-01-17.JPG

This one's a Callus i subcultured from my main Glabrata Culture with a looot of shoots. Growing very nicely for me :-)

D. Spatulata 02-01-17.JPG

Here's a shot of one of the D. Spatulata var. Lovellae Cultures. These grow like craazy. Way faster than i can replate them to seperate them.

H. Minor 02-01-16.JPG

Here's a Heliamphora Minor which i got a while back ago of a friend. Lovely to grow these in TC. By the way i have no idea why i can't get this pic straight here in the CPUK.

Hope you guys enjoyed these shots :-)

Cheers

Lukas

• Like 2