H. heterodoxa x minor

The Plant

Hi,

In about a week or so I'm receiving a small minor x. heterodoxa - bare rooted.

I happen to know quite some stuff about Heli's and carnivorous plants in general as this was a big hobby of mine 'bout ten years ago. So most of the basics are pretty clear to me: humidity, temperature, soil, requirement of light etc.

I choose a hybrid as I don't have a proper terrarium with all the good stuff, and hybrids are known to be a bit easier. I'm gonna try to grow it at a sunny window in a glass jar with cover (the cover in the picture is not the final one as it blocks light and doesn't have a small breathing hole). The construct is: small pot upside down. then sphagnum around it. then a pot on top for the actual heli. then a small glass/plastic cover with a minimal breathing hole.

I'm trying to create extra humidity by putting the glass jar in a tray with water (and possibly some extra sphagnum) (not yet in picture).

I thought this construct will have some benefits, one of 'm is that the Heli doesn't stand in to much water for good waterflow through the soil. Also; this area I'm gonna try to grow it in has pretty good air circulation (the gap on top of the jar allows for some airflow as well) and the temperatures are managable. For the very hot days I'm thinking of putting icecubes inside the tray around the jar. This will make the glass colder thus the whole inside of the jar. So far so good I think.

Any thoughts on this thus far?

Now a couple of questions for you guys:

1. Any tips for acclimatization? - As this plant will come bare-rooted and will have had quite a trip to reach me.

2. I am slightly uncertain whether or not to spray the plant with water, or to gently flow some water over the top. (I do know to keep the pitchers somewhat near half full with fluid).

There seems to be quite some contradicting info on the web.

3. I've read that fertilizing in small amounts through soil/water is either a must or a good addition. Thoughts? And how about small insects in the pitchers occasionally vs. fertilization?

4. Is there a 'rule' for the name of this plant; heterodoxa x. minor or minor x. heterodoxa - I want to be on point with the name. If there is a rule, what is it?

I want to give the plant a good future so any thoughts/tips/experiences are very welcome!

The setup:

26510954695_4747cc3bf7.jpgHeli setup by Benyamin Linus, on Flickr

Updated Photo

- with the tray and momentary cover - might exactly put some seeds of easy drosera in the sphagnum!

- tray for extra humidity rising up + in hot days I can put some icecubes in there to cool the bottom of the jar

25907364614_80aa1fc9aa.jpg20160419_004602[1] by Benyamin Linus, on Flickr

Edited by The Plant

• 2 weeks later...

Oh oh. You have this Heliamphora in this glass at a sunny window? On this way the plant will die in the summer because it will be to hot in the glass. The second thing is that glass weakens the light of the sun. So the light will not be enough for a heliamphora. You should buy an aquarium what is open above and a good plant lamp and the aquarium should stay in the cellar or another cool room. Heliamphoras dont like heat. The second but more risky way to grow the Heliamphora ist outside in the shadow. 

• Like 1

Ok ok, I see what you mean. I already thought the summer would be overkill. I did have succes with a similar method for a heliamphora I owned 10 years ago but that was in the spring though. About the glass weakening the light that's actually a good one. I do have a friend who has succesfully been growing a heli hybrid like this for 2 years, a very strong healthy looking plant actually.

I've happened to have decided to build a proper highland terrarium in my own room in May. Cooled, ventilated, lighted etc. - So I won't have to worry about the summer cooking the plant :)

I finally received the H. heterodoxa x minor I ordered some time ago. The plant came through nice and well. Lots of root systems, healthy looking pitchers and colours. I carefully potted the plants in nice and spacey pots and used a mixture of sphagnum and perlite. Watered them with some purified water to let the roots settle in. Really cool that they have some adult pitchers going on as well! - One of 'm is finalizing its process. Lets see if I can give them a smooth transition!

29-4-2016 - Heliamphora heterodoxa x minor, arrival

26618322522_d3cc75b4ca_z.jpg
- H. heterodoxa x minor - 29-4-2016 Arrival by Benyamin Linus, on Flickr

26645168011_6a6817202b_z.jpg
- H. heterodoxa x minor - 29-4-2016 Arrival 2 by Benyamin Linus, on Flickr

26645171631_73140678f6_z.jpg
- H. heterodoxa x minor - 29-4-2016 Arrival 3 - Small by Benyamin Linus, on Flickr

26645175611_cf6f472740_z.jpg
- H. heterodoxa x minor - 29-4-2016 Arrival 4 by Benyamin Linus, on Flickr