Collecting Sphagnum cuspidatum

Wort

Hi. I would like to use Sphagnum cuspidatum as the substrate for some miniatures. I find this species very attractive, and although it can be very fast growing it seems to be quite compact in form. It should be fairly easy for a horticulturist to ID visually, I think.
Unfortunately I have no material to propagate from and currently no access to the countryside.
I had thought of asking someone to collect a small sample for me for the cost of a couple of pints, but I am unsure if there are legal issues around money being exchanged for the sample.
My understanding of gathering samples is that as long as you are not removing complete plants, and that they are not for commercial use some small samples of vegetation are not a problem unless dealing with rare or endangered plants, is this the case?
Can anyone advise me if this approach is viable, or even legal?
Definitely don't want to break the law, they are made for good reasons.
Many thanks from Bill.

Thanks for the help Nord. I plan to use this in an indoor terrarium to try to grow smaller terrestrial Utricularia spp. I plan to have a false bottom to act as a reservoir, and to allow me to siphon out water either for freshness or to vary the water level.

Cheers from Bill.

On 3/5/2022 at 8:17 PM, Wort said:

Thanks for the help Nord. I plan to use this in an indoor terrarium to try to grow smaller terrestrial Utricularia spp. I plan to have a false bottom to act as a reservoir, and to allow me to siphon out water either for freshness or to vary the water level.

Cheers from Bill.

I think you'll find that the sphagna indoor will outgrow almost any utrics unless it's large epifyttic species or species like calycifida. You'll certainly need a lot of trimming nomatter which sphagna you use.

Okay, thanks Nord. I'm going to try it, just as an experiment, so I don't plan on using any rare plants. I accept that live Sphagnum may not be best long-term, so thanks for the advice.

Stuart, thanks for the link but I have looked briefly at importing from Europe, but the hoops we have to jump through rules it out for me.

Cheers from Bill.

@Nord Ravn I've had a think, and you are right, no live Sphagnum spp will be suitable. I want to succeed with this so I have a new plan for the substrate. I will retain the false bottom and use a soil mix recommended by a fellow Utricularia grower, Sphagnum mixed with perlite.

Thanks once again for your advice.

Bill.