Hiking in Khao Yai, Part 1

Recently went hiking in Khao Yai national park about two hours north of Bangkok, Thailand. This time we went off the beaten track somehwhat and hiked up through some less visited parts of the forest. Pretty hard going and not the safest place to be, more on that later but heres some photos we took allong the way, apologies for some not so good photos, but was hot, bothered and knackered most of the time.

Sorry to say couldnt take a pooh up there without killing of at least 50 D burmanii and countless utrics, sorry folks :oops:

6262009954_eccf32f3cd.jpg

6261499511_39520e1784.jpg

6261497085_820554d024.jpg

6261495193_d1516564a0.jpg

6261477249_76d7d88cdf.jpg

6261492625_30fb214921.jpg

6261493953_02dfec16a6.jpg

6262021986_968393778d.jpg

6261996594_8b4fc69dda.jpg

6262012456_9f8f1d8136.jpg

6261992964_11b8f2e321.jpg

Literally Acres of utrics up there...

6261471701_894b9d2ebb.jpg

Looks like a beautiful spot; it's interesting how uniform the range of Indochinese Utrics seems to be at localities from Thailand through to Vietnam and Cambodia - once you descend past the Isthmus of Kra into Malaysia, it's rather different. Thanks for sharing.

They look like nice pictures to me!

I look forward to your next post to hear where you went (did you make it up Khao Samor Poon this time?) and the safety aspect. I'll be heading in that general direction for a week or so in January and am trying to decide which spots to focus on.

They look like nice pictures to me!

I look forward to your next post to hear where you went (did you make it up Khao Samor Poon this time?) and the safety aspect. I'll be heading in that general direction for a week or so in January and am trying to decide which spots to focus on.

Numpty, at least in Jan it should have stopped rainng and there will be fewer leaches! The problem with the usual tourist trails is that there are few orchids etc left at a height were you can see them.

The dangers if you go into the forest on the mountains is real but if your sensible can be minimised, in any event you have to go with rangers who will look after you. Pit-vipers and other snakes are a real danger as are some of the larger animals, elephants, bears, buffalo... Some of the time we were in flood plains and if there is any heavy rain you need to move on pretty sharpish. We were never in any real danger though as far as i know...

The trail up khao samoor poon is not to be taken lightly, its 800m up at a 45% angle, climb 10minutes, stop for five etc and you have to do the whole climb in one day. Even the soldiers find it hard going.

Its easier to see bigger animals and birds though in the main part of khao yai not far from the roads, like gibbons, elephants, hornbills etc.

Edited by manders

The dangers if you go into the forest on the mountains is real but if your sensible can be minimised, in any event you have to go with rangers who will look after you. Pit-vipers and other snakes are a real danger as are some of the larger animals, elephants, bears, buffalo... Some of the time we were in flood plains and if there is any heavy rain you need to move on pretty sharpish. We were never in any real danger though as far as i know...

Thanks for the info! Which area of the park did you visit, if you don't mind my asking?

When you say you "have to go" with rangers, does that mean that park regulations require visitors in remote areas to be accompanied, or is it just that you probably wouldn't see anything and might get into difficulty if off the beaten track? Last time I was in the park, before my interest in CPs, I went wandering around and camped on some of the smaller trails, but that was still within several hours' walk of the main area. I imagine even the trailheads would be relatively remote for some of the walking you did?

And I guess you didn't see any Neps, or you would have posted pictures already!

You are right the main areas of the park are open access, you just pay the entrance fee. Some other areas you need to go with a ranger, i think because they are 'more' protected, i'm not entirely sure how they distinguish the two to be honest.

There is a lot of poaching going on and the rangers have their work cut out to protect the forest, all kinds of stuff ends up in bangkok market and trees get cut down illegally and sent to china to make furniture for export, theres probably illegal hunting as well. There are supposedly 5 tigers left in the park but i think their days are numbered.