VFT seedlings - do they keep characteristics?

LJ

Hi all

I dont have experience of how seedlings develop or whether they often change since this was from my first batch of seeds so the question is......is my vft likely to keep this colouring or not??

I grew the vft below from seed last year.......its rather yellow with a sort of peachy tint in the traps. The middle of the plant is greener but it gets yellower the further down the leaf you go.

008.JPG

006.JPG

:teehee:

Edited by LJ

Presuming this is one of those 'you will have to wait and see' things then!

I'm hoping it keeps the colour but I'll keep an eye on it and see how it goes.........

Well thats definitely some good news then! Thanks Trev and Celox for the info.

It much yellower than my 'yellow' clone so I'll be crossing my fingers it doesn't go changing on me, should be a great little vft if it stays the same. I'll post some more pics at the end of the summer :biggrin:

Thanks

Edited by LJ

hmmm how much sun is it getting everyday? it could be that it hasnt reached its full color potential yet... it is a nice looking vft but it might redden if given more sun :biggrin:

I let it skip its first dormancy so it has been growing indoors under an envirolite on 16 hours a day. Its now been moved back to my conservatory when it will get plenty of full sun (or atleast as much as you can get in the UK!!) I dont think lack of sunlight is the issue.

I think I'll just have to wait and see how it develops over the summer......

My understanding about cultivars is that the best way to ensure characteristics is to take leaf cuttings. VFT's lend themselves fairly well to leaf cutting cultivation and you can get a cluster of baby plants from a single leaf.

I've done leaf pullings quite a few times with other vfts but I think this one is a bit small for that at the moment.......its not even 1 year old yet :biggrin:

• 2 months later...

What if you have a giant red cultivar, with shark teeth edges, or any really wild looking plant, and then it flowers, and produces seed, now you plant the seeds, shouldn't, by definition, the seelings look like ordinary run of the mill VFTs?

Amar

As far as I know some of the seedlings will look like typicals, others like the parents and some of them will be a mixture.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong :D

Heather

Heather, it would be very interesting to know which cultivars retain the parents' characteristics, and which don't!

Hi Amar

Well I posed a similar question at the end of another thread to see if anyone has more information on this but got no response so perhaps its hasnt been studied very much. It would be interesting to know the sort of percentages of seedlings that would carry through the parent genes etc. I would guess some traits would be dominant and some recessive but not sure if anyone knows which are which are and which aren't............

Heather

I've found that colour and dentate teeth, are readily passed on, but usually diluted unless both parents have the characteristic, everything else seems recessive. I haven't tried wacky traps, fused petioles or more recent additions though. Saw teeth seems to be a partial expression of the dentate gene.

When I made a cross between G14 and Dentate, tying to get a plant with dentate style teeth and good dark red colour in the traps, out of about 80 seedlings only 2 expressed both characteristics strongly.

Trev :D

We cannot tell about the color preservation unless u try growing it in various light conditions. Currently by the size of the petioles it seems to be growing in lower light levels.

Thanks for the info Trev, looks like I'll have to make lots of room for seedlings if I want to find the small minority that express the characteristics I want and that I originally made the crosses for!! I figured most of the interesting traits would probably be recessive but its good to have a bit more information on it.

:D

Heather