PLANTED5/24 I have some questions about leaf pullings W/PICS

zero

I started these leaf pullings when I got the plants just following some Very basic info I found on-line.

The leaves were pulled off whole, they are from mexican pings and these

I think were the succulent winter leaves.

they where placed on 100% vermiculite that is damp, in a mini humidome.

I need to know if they look ready to plant and how do I PLANT them this small.

they are at 100% humidity and I was hoping to transfer some of them into the pots with the mother plants, but humidity is a lot less at 50- 75%.

the rest I am open to suggestions.

do I just plant in regular mexi ping soil and expose them to the completely differn't enviroment the mother plants are in?

should the soil be kept very wet to begin with?

I have killed every ping I have gotten so far except for these mexi pings which I only got a few weeks ago

pics of the cuttings

PING_CLOSEUP_Large_Web_view.jpg

PING_CUTTINGS_Large_Web_view.jpg

PING_WHOLE_PICLarge_Web_view.jpg

Are these large enough to plant on there own?

I transferred the plantlets to there pots yesterday

here is a pic of the mother plants and the pullings.

soil used was 1:1:1:1 peat-pearlite-vermiculite-sand with a top dressing of chopped lfs.

everything seems to be going well so far and I will gradually be introducing the plantlets into more light to speed growth up.

IMG_0278_Large_Web_view.jpg

Hi,

You should start by addapting them to lower humidity buy lifting the cover a bit and I would let them get a bit bigger! :wink:

Lift cover a little bit each week for ~3 weeks then you should be able to take completly off!

By then they will be a bit bigger! :lol:

See ya!

Zero--those look great--I've been a big chicken about trying to pull my ping leaves... but I think you've given me courage! I think I know what I'm doing this weekend... :-)

How long did it take to get them to this point?

so the plants will survive on the vermiculite for a while longer?

it seems some of the plantlets have actually lifted the mother leaves of of the verm.

:) :?:

Michael, it was easier than I thought to get to this point with the pullings.

I bought 3 mexi pings and they arrived bareroot

so all I did was pull about half the leaves off from each plant.

the entire leaf comes off with Very little effort.

the mother plants have fully recovered in just a few weeks.

I just put moist verm into a 4 inch drip tray placed the leaves on top of the verm then put another 4 inch drip tray inverted on top to make a mini greenhouse.

they have been kept at room temp with some light from a cpf lamp.

I'm pretty sure sunlight would roast them at this point.

if these plants take when I repot them I'll have some for free or trade.

Peace,

Adam

Hi Adam,

Congrats on your first successfull ping propagation. smile.gif

Technically, as soon as the baby plants have a root system, you could transplant them (after acclimatisation), but it's highly likely that even the most experienced grower would damage the insignificant roots whilst small. I've never tried it, but I would imagine you could leave them on the vermiculite forever if you wanted, but it's not the best media for them.

As you have noticed, the best time to take leaves is when you repot the plant during it's winter growth for two reasons;

1) The leaves are better at striking and take faster than carnivorous ones.

2) It is very easy to pull a good complete leaf including it's base, when out of soil.

Michael; as long as the plant is in good shape, you can take quite a few leaves off for cuttings without harming the mother plant too much. Don't take more than half of the total leaves.

When you are ready to transplant them, tweezers/forceps can help, but try not to pinch and damage them.... just rest the plant on them if possible.

As Insectivore has mentioned, you need to gradually get them used to the lower humidity by exposing more of the ambient air, little by little, by pulling the cover further back. I agree that I'd wait as well until they got bigger before trying to move them.

Don't worry about the old leaf rising up.... it's just really a reserve for the new plant to develop from, and will die off eventually as shown in your first pic.

Do you know what the species is?

Regards

Stu the 1st and 3rd pic is Pinguicula ehlersiae leaf pullings

the 2nd pic is Pinguicula jaumavensis.

I also have a few leaf pullings of Pinguicula moctezumae X kohres

in another pot not shown in the pics.

thanks for the replies

Peace,

Adam :poked: :reappear:

I notice all of the plantlets are growing from the part of the pulling that was attached to the mother plant. Do ping plantlets ever form on the other parts or end of the leaves?

Michael-

yes it seems most mexican pings form plantlets from the point of attatchment to the mother plant.

I also know that I have seen a few pics of other pings forming plantlets all over the leaves, I guesss it just depends on what ping you are trying to propagate.

can any other more experianced forum members shed some light on this question?

PEACE,

Adam :) :tu::tu:

I have been successful by putting leaf pullings in slightly moist media, in a baggie, at an east window as well as just placing them slightly embedded at the mother plant. It failed miserably by placing in swampy live LFS.

Here's a pic of placing by the mother plant, uncovered:

Strausplants002.jpg

Well just to give the complete opposite of Jim.

I have the best success in swampy Live LFS. The last batch of pullings I did I removed the first batch of plantlets, put the original leaves back intot he swampy live LFS and they produced another round of plantlets for me.

I have also had a plantlet form dead center on he leaf of P. emarginata

So, the take home message is expect the unexpected...or anything is possible.

Gawd_oOo, I'm intrigued byremoving the plantlets, and then producing another round of plantlets--wasn't the mother leaf pretty...depleted?

After round 2 yes.

But if you look at the second picture in zero's original post (this thread) The plantlets could be removed from those leaves already.

In my swampy LFS mix, they root fine from that size.

The parent leaves in that picture look healthy enough to produce more plantlets aswell.

I should also note, that I don't cover the bowl that I have the Mix in.

Great...well, I definitely will be giving it a go this weekend. Perhaps an experiment of different medias...LFS, peat...I could definitely use a few more :-)

Perhaps an experiment of different medias...LFS, peat...I could definitely use a few more :-)

Exactly what I've started yesterday, as well as indoors (growlight) vs. more extreme temperature variation indoors. smile.gif

Media on trial...

1) Live Sphagnum

2) Peat

3) Silver Sand

4) Grit Sand

5) Vermiculite

6) Mexican Ping Mix; Peat / Perlite / Grit Sand / Silver Sand / Vermiculite

I didn't try pure perlite as it was a disaster last time I tried it. cheeky.gif

Regards,

Ben - They could really use better light than east, but I give deference to the sundews for the south windows. Really, most sundews, butterworts, and bladderworts could use the south windows, but I have to make choices, unfortunately.

Dave - perhaps I should give the swampy, live LFS another chance.

Give it a shot. I'd like to know I'm not the only freak that has it work for them...

And Ben I'd have to agree with Jim, east isn't the best for Pinguicula, I had mine in a east window during the start of winter, they all became very elongated. Put them under lights after that, and they all came back to proper shape.

Mine are also on an east window and two Mexican pings are flowering, along with a primuliflora. It's not the worst thing in the world.

some new pics of the mini terr. they are in plus a couple others

I will be starting to transfer these tommorow some to new pots others to the pots the mother plants are in

closed

3_closed_ping_terr._Large_Web_view.jpg

open

3_open_ping_terr_Large_Web_view.jpg

other pics

ping_cropped_Web_view.jpg

ping_montez_whole_Large_Web_view.jpg

peace,

Adam

UPDATED 5/25

I transferred the plantlets to there pots yesterday

here is a pic of the mother plants and the pullings.

soil used was 1:1:1:1 peat-pearlite-vermiculite-sand with a top dressing of chopped lfs.

everything seems to be going well so far and I will gradually be introducing the plantlets into more light to speed growth up.

IMG_0278_Large_Web_view.jpg

I'll add some closup pics tomorrow

peace,

Zero