Utricularia humboldtii - propagation?

sundewmatt

I've got a few very nice Utricularia humboldtii and want to make more... Will this one respond to leaf cuttings? If so, would it be possible to cut off just the tip and place it on the medium? I see stolons growing out of the soil, but as of yet I have not gotten any new plants- and it's been a long time.

Thanks

Matt

I have tried leaf cuttings several times but to no avail, so I would also be interested to hear if anyone else has had success with this. My plant, however, spreads rapidly and is relatively easy to propagate by dividing the mass of stolons it produces.

Is yours in a wide, shallow tray?

Sort of. I keep the main plant in a round glass tank 25 cm wide by 30 cm high, covered with a sheet of glass to keep the humidity high but held a few mm above the tank rim with 'spacers' to allow some air circulation. The growing medium is pure live Sphagnum kept permanently waterlogged and light is provided by a flourescent tube standing next

to the tank ( like this I can have several such tanks on top of each other

which works well, saves space and looks quite good too ). Growing under these conditions my U. humboldtii filled its tank in a couple of years

to such an extent that I had to literally slice apart the mass of intermeshed

stolons! :lol:

I have had little success trying to confine this plant in small pots and the like, so I think you are right that this was the issue with your's.

Let it roam, then round em up ! :D

I keep mine in a 13 cm square pot. At the ground there are clay pearls with living Sphagnum moss on the top. I mixed some peat in the substrate. The plants are sitting in the moss and grow happily. I grew the plant in the same substrate in a 7 cm pot root bounded and it was producing runners at all times, now it seems to fill the pot again and then I think it will start over with all those runners.

Jan

Hello,

my U. humboldtii propagates itself through stolons, so I have now some U. humboldtii growing in my Brocchinia reducta as well as in some pitchers of Heliamphora heterodoxa x ionasii. My plants is in a small pot (9 cm), I filled the pot 2/3 with dead, milled sphagnum and planted some living sphagnum on the top. The sphagnum has now reached a height of 10 cm, so I use it when I'm sending plants.

I found U. humboldtii is a very easy and nice species. It has not yet flowered so far, and I'm sure that the pot is not big enough for it - but unfortunately I have not more space.

Regards,

Markus