Drosera filiformis var filiformis 'Florida Giant' from seed?

AdamH

Hi,

I obtained Drosera filiformis var filiformis 'Florida Giant' a couple of years ago from Phil Wilson: does this plant grow "true" from seed, or is it a clone that must be reproduced vegetatively through cuttings? Just wondering... many thanks.

Guest Chuck Powell

If its a named variety then it has to be propigated vegetatively or its not the same thing, no matter how closely it may look like its parent.

Best,

Chuck

That's usually the case, but not always. For example, the cultivar D. spatulata 'Tamlin' may be raised from seed. The cultivar description specifically notes this.

Adam's question is valid.

Thanks Aidan, that exactly what I meant! Many Drosera "named varieties" in particular seem to "breed true" from seed: for example, D. capensis variants ('Albino', 'Red Form', etc), even other "named forms" of D.filiformis var filiformis (e.g. 'All Red [no dormancy]') seem to come true from seed. Which is why I was wondering about D. filiformis var filiformis 'Florida Giant'. Maybe this was introduced into cultivation via seed from a population of extra large plants? (This variant seems twice the size in all parts [including the flowers] to the "regular" form). On the other hand, if it was introduced via a leaf cutting taken from an individual extra large plant growing amongst a "normal" population, then I would expect that indeed it may need to be reproduced via vegetative means only.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello.

That's usually the case, but not always. For example, the cultivar D. spatulata 'Tamlin' may be raised from seed. The cultivar description specifically notes this.

Where can we find the information (cultivar description) that says if a variety can be propagated by seeds or not?

I am trying to find right information about varieties and cultivars. It is very complex but I would like to propagate my plants in the right way.

Anybody could help me?

Me estoy haciendo un lío con todo esto (y cuanto más leo, peor) :lol:

:D

It is safest to assume that cultivars must always be vegetatively propagated. Doing so ensures that any propagated plants are the cultivar concerned.

Some information may be found in the Carnivorous Plant Database:

http://www.omnisterra.com/bot/cp_home.cgi

Confusion occurs because of the way the cultivar system works. The method of reproduction may be specified and in some cases seed is allowable.

Further confusion arises owing to the fact that any plant that looks like a particular cultivar (regardless of its origin) is considered to be the cultivar. :?

I agree that the Carnivorous Plant Database is the best source of information. In addition, the ICPS is in the process of making all of the official cultivar registrations and species descriptions published in CPN available electronically. See

http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cpn/Speci...gistrations.htm

http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cpn/Speci...escriptions.htm

This plant is not a cultivar and therefore reproduction by seed is acceptable. Of course, it you want to propagate plants identical to the parent, leaf cuttings are the way to do so.