GC find! ID?

Jonathan

Was browsing in a local GC this afternoon, having gone to get some gritty sand for potting up some tubers.

Noticed a single tray of freshly-arrived CPs on a trolley in the houseplant centre. Usual species - D. aliciae, D. capensis, Sarracenia hybrids, VFTs and a few N. x ventrata.

Imagine my surprise when I noticed a lanceolate leaf poking over the edge of a VFT pot. Closer examination revealed two 9cm pots, each containing a clump of 5-6 crowns minimum. The plants are up to 80mm high at the moment.

The leaves are pale green with red-stalked tentacles. They gradually widen towards the midpoint, narrowing gradually towards a slightly-rounded tip. Max leaf length is 75mm long by 9mm at widest point. There is no obvious petiole. Younger leaves on the rosette are blunter and shorter, but of similar width. The midrib is very prominent.

Can someone confirm that this plant is what I think and that there are no other confusion species or hybrids? Was slightly surprised to see 2 potfuls at the prices involved!

Thanks guys - never seen this species in a GC before and a new species to me as well! Very nicely grown plants and bursting with health - wonder what they would have been like within a few weeks otherwise?

My enthusiasm has been slightly dampened by the first photo of the species on Bob's photo pages - an ICPS screensaver entitled 'Weed! Weed! Weed!'

All I can say are that they are damn fine looking weeds, lol!