Another Nepenthes problem

Rita

Hi all,

here the pics of my N. ventricosa:

http://xoomer.virgilio.it/ritacorino/nep1.jpeg

http://xoomer.virgilio.it/ritacorino/nep2.jpeg

Who know why its leafs are red spotting? Maybe fungi? or too hot temperature? or too humidity?

I've received it in september 2003 and I'm growing it in a terrarium where max temperature raised 27 °C (not so hot for me) and humidity is more or less 70-80%.

During the past months it produced lots of leafs and pitchers. Everyone were bigger than the before and the plants seems to be quite fast.

Only in the last days I have noticed that disease. I'm growing other Nepenthes in the same terrarium and, at the moment, all are very well. I don't keep Nepenthes sit in water.

My friend's N. ventricosa, arrived in the same day and kept at the same conditions in his terrarium, started showing the same disease before my plant did.

After few days all the leafs of his plant turned black and also the growing point turned black. His plant died few days ago.

What could i do to save my plants? The only changed condition is temperature: during past days it grown to 27 °C. Light and watering unchanged.

Thank you very much for your help,

Rita

Thanks, I have just re-writed both.

Could you check?

Rita

Rita,

That really looks like a fungal infection, it could be anything but colletotrichum, mycosphaerella and cercospora are the most likely culprits. Treat it with a systemic fungicide (Rob Cantley uses thiophanate methyl) which should keep it under control. Ask your nurseryman about other classes of fungicides, as using the one class will give rise to resistant strains.

Hamish

Thank you very much, Hamish.

I'll follow your suggestion and I will let you know the result.

Rita