Sterile red capensis

Richard

Guest Sheila

My red form never produces seed either. It must have come from seed originally because I have never bought a red form, it appeared amongst some normal capensis seelings.

red-cape.jpg

It flowers well every year, but has not produced a single seed. I have got a couple of small ones appeared in the pot which are red, but I think these are probably coming from the main rootball of the big one.

Guest Sheila

Aidan, now you mention it yes I suppose it is a good thing, it's the only capensis that doesn't try to take over the greenhouse. It would be nice to get a few though, so others can have a go at growing them. :)

Guest Sheila

Isn't that just typical. I had 6 flower spikes on my red form capensis this year. Most of the flowers have produced no seed at all, but this morning I found that on just one of the stems about half the flower heads have produced a few seeds. There are nowhere near as many as you would normally expect to get. This is the first time in 5 years it has produced any seed and seems stranger to me than having a plant that produces no seed at all. The rest of the flowers have not even a formed seed pod.

Has anyone any idea why :?:

If your red form of D. capensis is usually self-sterile, it could be that it has been cross-pollinated with another sundew in your collection, probably, but not necessarily, another D. capensis. You'll only really find out for sure if you grow the seeds.

I imagine that the numbers of pollinators available is much higher than normal during this hot and sunny weather we have been experiencing this Summer too.

Vic