U.calycifida

916.JPG

U.caerulea white flower

1017.JPG

U.humboldtii seed capsule

Regards Alexander

Edited by fischermans

Hi Alexander,

nice pics - seems as if you love your new camera! Thanks for some nice utric flowers.

I do not want to come back to the blanchetii/parthenopipes discussion again, but please - this pentadactyla is a bisquamata :happy:

What about the humboldtii flower? Did I miss it?

Regards

Martin

OK Alexander, of course I'm not totally sure with bisquamata. But the lower lip looks very much like this, and the small, divided upper lip (on the top flower in your pic good to be seen) even more (like the typical forms of bisquamata).

Without location data it would be not that easy to go further here - with what species would you compare it then?

Regards

Martin

Hello Martin and all other Utri Fans

After a bit thinking about this species i have taken my Taylor and now i´m again not sure if it´s not U.pentadactyla.

Peter Taylor wrote:

"U.pentadactyla is closly allied to U.bisquamata and is replaced by that species in the southernmost part of Africa, the only region from which both species are recordedbeing southwestern Angola.The present species however constantly differs from U.bisquamatain its more or less deeply five-lobed lower corolla lip."

Here i show what i mean.For me the lower corolla on the picture is similar to that on figure 8 of the picture on site 217 in Taylors Genus.

174.JPG

For me also the trap on my picture is more like that from U.pentadactyla than that from U.bisquamata.

275.JPG

Regards Alexander

I see the tiny lobation you're talking about, but it sure looks like classic U. bisquamata to me.

I know that sometimes the 3-lobation or 5-lobation in lower corolla lips of Utricularia can be very subtle indeed, but Taylor talked about the lobation of U. pentadactyla being more or less "deep".

Cheers

Barry

Taylor talked about the lobation of U. pentadactyla being more or less "deep".

Barry, thats what I was thinking as well. While Taylor speaks of bisquamata as "at the most only shallowly crenate". Well, Alex, your flower appears more crenate than lobed to me. And - it may be an effect of perspective - maybe it is the corollas folds in your picture that resemble lobation? How would the lower lip look like if it was flattened?

Saying this, I must admit that the variation in lobation could turn out into a very week distinctive feature, if more intermediate forms were found. Would be interesting to have a look at the Kew Bulletin 18, and compare his bisquamata figures with newer pics of bisquamata forms. I have no access to the bulletin, maybe somebody would like to help me out?

Well, who would dare taking away Taylors first species? :teehee:

Regards

Martin