Utric newbie question - growing in water

Yossu

Hello,

As you may have noticed from my previous question about utrics, I know even less about them than I do about other CPs! However, I've been a good boy and done some reading...

dog-study-quilie.jpg

I came across this growing guide, which says that "terrestrial Utricularia are generally grown for their flowers although you should consider growing some in a small glass so you can observe the traps."

I've just got a U. Longifolia, which I potted in some of Hant's COM1 mixture, mainly because I didn't know the plant was coming unpotted, and that was all I had in the house! It's currently sitting up to its $%&% in rain water with my other CPs. If I manage to get it to flower, then that should be good, as the flowers look beautiful from the pics I've seen, but I'm intrigued by the idea of growing it in a glass, as mentioned in that growing guide.

Anyone able to advise here? Is this a good idea? Would I see anything worth seeing? If yes, how do I go about it?

Thanks as ever to everyone for the great help.

It would get algae on the inside edges of the glass. The way around this would be to shroud the outside of the glass (let's say it's a common old round tumbler) with a tube made of card and a paperclip, pick your colour. That would prevent the algae.  Then when you want to look at the traps in the glass you just remove the tube.  I've never done it but that's what I've read over the years. Best of luck.

• Like 1

It would get algae on the inside edges of the glass. The way around this would be to shroud the outside of the glass (let's say it's a common old round tumbler) with a tube made of card and a paperclip, pick your colour. That would prevent the algae.  Then when you want to look at the traps in the glass you just remove the tube.  I've never done it but that's what I've read over the years. Best of luck.

Thanks Richard. Does this mean I would grow the plant completely in water? I thought that U. Longifolia were terrestrial. If so, would they grow sitting in a glass of water?

Also, what would they eat? I can't imagine there being much in the way of small insect swimming around in a glass of rain water!

Thanks again

I know nothing of this species but I do know it's not aquatic so I wouldn't recommend growing it in water, no.  It'll catch it's own food though, they all do.

I think I'll leave it where it is then! No point in risking it.

If it grows as profusely as that article implies, I might try taking an offshoot and seeing if it will grow in water. Let's see if I can get it to grow at all first! No point counting your chickens before the eggs have been fried

130329Fallon1_300x206.jpg

Thanks again