D. Aliciae covered in white insects! Help!

Guest mogwai

Arrived home from a weekend away to find small white bugs on the flower stem of my D. Aliciae and it's looking very unhealthy and lost it's sticky dew. The bugs, which look a bit like greenfly move when you poke them, but otherwise seem motionless.

After a thorough inspection, all the rest of my CPs in the same water tray (different pots) look fine. I've taken the Aliciae away from the rest of them, but what now? If it needs some sort of pesticide, could someone recommend me an easy to find brand please? Thanks.

Guest Tamlin Dawnstar

It sounds like you might have whitefly, or these might be the larval form of aphids. You can try submerging the plant in water for a few days. This seems to do the trick for isolated instances. Keep the plant seggregated for sure, and be alert regarding anything it was close to. If the infection spreads, a chemical cure may be needed.

Well, it's started to spread and is there are now bugs on the new pitchers of one of my Sarrs. Think I'll spray them with some pesticide tonight. Should I spray all the plants or just the 2 that are infected?

Guest Tamlin Dawnstar

I would use a systemic insecticide if you have it available. If it is spreading, the time to act is yesterday. I have not used chemicals and so will defer to those who would have the particulars. A systemic insecticide will be taken up by the plants, making them poisionous thereafter to the attacking insects. I wish you the best! Having an infestation in your collection is a horrible experience. I know, since I am just recovering from the ordeal and not out of the woods even yet.