Liberty County, Florida, USA - Part 1

Hello,

we spent our last few days in Florida Liberty County, close to Sumatra. During having a coffee in the morning i could catch the following birds at the motel:

IMG_4287.jpg

IMG_4292.jpg

IMG_4299.jpg

Before going to the first Sarracenia location we wanted to stop at a place where we have been told, there are some Dionaea growing. It did not take too long until we found the plants:

IMG_4313.jpg

IMG_4321.jpg

IMG_4344.jpg

IMG_4353.jpg

IMG_4412.jpg

IMG_4348.jpg

The next stop was only a few miles further. We were hoping to find some nice S. flava var. rubricorpora in that area. We did not get disappointed. In fact, those locations are amongst the most incredible stands of carnivorous plants i have so far seen in the wild! It's just breath-taking to stand in a field of such nice plants.

IMG_4431.jpg

IMG_4443.jpg

IMG_4454.jpg

IMG_4462.jpg

IMG_4493.jpg

IMG_4514.jpg

IMG_4567.jpg

IMG_4602.jpg

There have also been other variants growing there:

IMG_4489.jpg

IMG_4635.jpg

IMG_4637.jpg

IMG_4715.jpg

IMG_4717.jpg

• Like 1

For me, Pinguicula planifolia is with its distinct dark leaves the nicest Pinguicula of the USA. There have been quite a lot of plants growing at that location.

IMG_4465.jpg

IMG_4473.jpg

IMG_4543.jpg

IMG_4682.jpg

IMG_4712.jpg

Also, there were some Drosera filiformis var. tracyi, Utricularia cornuta and Sarracenia psittacina.

IMG_4644.jpg

IMG_4562.jpg

IMG_4680.jpg

Much to our surprise we found some Dionaea as well!

IMG_4593.jpg

IMG_4626.jpg

IMG_4632.jpg

It is also very interesting to look out for animals that live in, on or from the plants.

IMG_4450.jpg

IMG_4453.jpg

IMG_4476.jpg

IMG_4485.jpg

IMG_4613.jpg

IMG_4693.jpg

IMG_4678.jpg

The fun suddenly stopped as a police man called us to come back to our cars. Fortunately the only problem was that our car was not standing correctly. One of the tires was standing on the white line and not behind. As it was a very hot day and we have been out quite some time we made use of this and continued to look for other locations in that area. To be continued....

Christian

previous thread: http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=52134

• Like 2

Hi Christian,

nice pictures, for sure you have a lot of fun at the moment.

Most i like the pictures of this clumb forming form of P. planifolia, really great coloration. I have heard that the plants can get really huge, up to 18cm.

I grow this form as well but i must say that under my conditions they only reach a diameter of about 7-8cm.

Best regards,

Daniel