All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Today
  2. Looks like two Miranda to me - one producing lower pitchers, the other producing uppers.
  3. Ciao Argo! I'm very happy to see you also in this forum!
  4. So I have one measuring the RH @40% inside the GH, another inside reading 48% with the outside RH measuring @40% Perhaps a humidity reader which sets off the misting system aimed at the GH floor if it drops below a certain %...
  5. Ciao Simeon!! Very happy to find you in this forum!
  6. Hi, I got gifted a large Nepenthes plant but I'm not sure what variety it is. I originally thought there were 2 varieties in the one pot. The one being Miranda and and the other Truncata. After more research, I discovered that Truncata has heart shaped leaves, and mine does not. Looking at more pictures of Miranda, it seems some of them look like the other pitchers. Are there 2 varieties in this pot or is it all one variety? Any help is apparecitated.
  7. Hello everyone! I'm Simeon and I'm from Italy. I'm growing carnivorous plant since years and my favourite plant is the Cephalotus follicularis! See you soon!!
  8. There are some purpurea ssp. purpurea populations in alkaline marl bogs, so they are tolerant of a wide range of pH
  9. Do concider the difficulties to measure humidity. Double check with more than one device. 30 is low and not for certain a correct measurement.
  10. With orchids, I had a misting system and water storage containers under the benches to wet all the floor and keep the atmosphere damp. It worked well. I would have thought if you mist the canopies of CPs, there will be a danger of scorch in the midday sun unless you have a lot of shade cloth on and then you are reducing the sunlight they need. Perhaps mist the tops in the evening, but I would be careful during the day. Rob
  11. Thank you for your comments. Yes of course, you have correctly identified the potential problem of pH being to high (the fish are goldfish and Koi, also a good population of frogs, newts and toads). If I do go ahead, I have a variety of carnivorous plants to experiment with, including S. Purpurea. But, I was wondering if anybody had already tried and what were the results. I believe the Irish populations of S. Purpurea are causing problems due to their illegal introduction, with the CPS. organising regular clearings. On that note, I will need to clarify my position with the appropriate authorities.
  12. I second argo. As long as the plant is sacrificed to the test and not the fish it is not a big deal. Maybe I try once I have an excess of sarracenias to sacrifice. My collection is quite small at the moment. Br Magnus
  13. Hi all, After a little advise. The relative humidity in my greenhouse is constantly dropping below 30% given the current hot weather. All my Sarrs are stood in 1-2 inches of water. I find myself damping down the greenhouse floor to help bring this up a little. I was looking at a misting system to help automate this process on the hotter days! My question is, would you set it up to spray the Canopy’s of the plants ( with rain water) or set it to just wet the floor and therefore fed by normal tap water? Regards Neil
  14. Arum dioscoridies - to me - is just poo. Not carrion, just poo. Horrible. Quite a number of the araceae seem to smell like very bad body-odour to me too.....
  15. Hi! I’ve not experience at all in this kind of coultivation... Topfrog has said the true, but I think that you can sacrifice a single plant for an experiment.... I’d try with sarracenia purpurea purpurea that grows in wild in Ireland and Scotland where people had introduced it.... in Canada grows a variant of this plant that grows in alkaline substrate... so if you want to make an experiment I’d try with sarracenia purpurea ssp. Purpurea. Good luck! ;-)
  16. No experience myself with that combination, but ill imagine "full of fish" equals too much fertilizer for the plant. I dont know what fish it is. But low ph as sarracenias wants is not really Good for Most ornamental garden pond fish. At least not in a pond full of fish which needs biological filtration to keep the fish healthy. So....I would not try myself. Br Magnus
  17. Yesterday
  18. That's interesting - I've grown that plant in the past but never managed to get a sniff of it! I've had Amorphophallus albus and sauromatum venosum doing their thing nearby each other at the same time this morning. Smelt like someone had used a stagnant pond as a toilet!
  19. Thank you very much for your quick and reassuring reply! I was just getting worried as the others are OK. Is it advisable to remove the black parts and / or remove dead stems when the whole stem is black? Thank you.
  20. They smell like rotting seaweed to me. The nastiest scent so far I have found in Araceae is Arum dioscorides!
  21. It takes a while for them to settle in that's all. Some of the blackening could be just normal old-leaf die-off. Dew will happen but it can take a few days. Don't dispair. Things will turn out just fine.
  22. Hello, I'm very very new to this, I've been a sundew owner for 2 days! I've sadly already got a problem with one of them, a drosera binata, and would really appreciate some help before it gets any worse. I looked in the forum already but couldn't find a post to help. Thanks in advance for any tips. I've got a mature drosera binata 'pink flower' which is developing black tips on some stems. Most of its stems are also lacking any dew at all. (See pics - note pics aren't in its normal location.) It's in a pot about 15cm tall and 20cm wide. I'm watering it with pure water and it's standing in a bowl with a bit of water in. It's in a mix of moss peat and perlite from the nursery I bought it from. It's by a big window and is getting mostly direct sunlight from dawn til midday, thereafter good light but not direct. Temp so far is probably around 18 degrees C at night and 22 during the day. It was posted to me and so spent about 3 days in total darkness while being delivered. Could the black tips just be stress from the journey / adjusting to its new conditions? I've also got a standard drosera binata in the same conditions and it looks fine. Thank you for your help!
  23. Hi all, I hope all are well. A friend has a garden pond with permanently wet edges. In full sun and no shade it seems ideal for Sarracenia and/or VFT's. Being aware of pH needs and the pond full of fish, I wonder if anyone has had success planting straight into the pond edges?? When I say wet, I mean like a dripping sponge. Any views are very welcome. Thank you.
  24. Hi all.. first post a bit of a sober one recently set up a big garden which had been doing great but then noticed spots on most of my plants any advice would be brilliant, think it’s spider mites but treatment has done nothing
  25. Last week
  26. Looks like 'Bloody Mary' - also mass-produced in Holland.
  27. Looks like 'Rebecca Soper'. I believe it is grown in Holland under the incorrect name sanguinea.
  1. Load more activity