All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Last week
  2. Very nice plants! Is there something that triggers flowering in your conditions or do they flower consistently? I have been growing them for a few years but my plants never flowered yet. I have to say that I leave them decide themselves when it is time to go dormant though, without changing waterings or other growing conditions.
  3. Pinguicula elongata, native to the higher Andean Mountains of Colombia and Venezuela.
  4. Earlier
  5. Superb leaf cutting
  6. Rapid Prey Slinging Sundews It always looks sensational when the rapid catapults of some sundews fling their prey into the sticky tentacles of the trapping leaf in a matter of seconds or even milliseconds. The largest of the catapult-flypaper traps known to date, Drosera glanduligera, is even faster than the famous Venus flytrap. In the past, who would have thought a sundew could do that? The exciting research into these fast trapping movements in the genus Drosera only began in the 1980s with the still rather sedate Drosera burmannii / D. sessilifolia. We show with impressive recordings how research into the fast catapults progressed. Even today there are still surprises. In this film we show all known rapid catapult-flypaper traps and present video evidence of the tentacle movement of Drosera australis, a further rapid pygmy Drosera.
  7. Hello, we have now fixed the times of the lecture, please see the following link for the up to date information for the times of the lectures: https://www.carnivoren.org/icps-conference-2024/vortraege/ Registration to the Conference will be open until May, 12th. Please note that the tickets for visiting Mirek Srba are limited to 50 persons. I am sure they will all be sold soon! If you have any question, please don't hesitate to ask! Regards Christian
  8. Hi, the forum is funded by the Carnivorous Plant Society, but is not very functional these days with almost all posts being EU plant sales. CP chats, sales and trading have all moved to various Facebook groups. Some of the people you mention are still around...
  9. Hi everyone, Can anyone fill me in on the history of what happened in the last twenty years CPUK forum, how is this forum funded these days and where are the super old posts, are they archived? I kept CPs back in 2000 to 2003 in Newport, Wales. Went to University and had to give the plants away slowly. I was on CPUK forum many years ago even entered a photo competition in 2003 i think with a ping of mine shot with my webcam, those were the days. Twenty years forward, I have moved to Switzerland Zurich with now two kids asking what are these plants I have photos of, i am thinking to get a cephalotus to pique their interest. I kept a file of the addresses of the growers I interacted with, not sure if any of them are still here. Vic Brown, Langford Williams, Paul O'Keeffe, Sheila Little, Chris Skinner, Mike King, Giles King-Salter etc etc Best, Dong
  10. He too in akadama and lapillus
  11. Another beautiful rarity in the family has been added
  12. Short update. No germination up to now, three months later. Seems I've had no luck with these. So I'm just waiting for one of the local plant nurseries to import a batch of Nepenthes with an odd find inbetween. May the dutch producers have merci and open the market for ampullaria!😁
  13. Carnivorous Plant Maniacs in Down Under (2001) In the last part of our Australia trilogy in 2001, we find many carnivorous plants with Kirstie Wulf and Greg Bourke near Sydney and in the Blue Mountains. We look for more sundews and bladderworts with Trevor Hannam in Cairns and film Drosera schizandra in the jungle of Mount Bartle Frere. In Port Douglas, we are invited by Helen and Michael Gabour to the great blues events at the Court House Hotel, dive on the Barrier Reef and encounter more carnivores and an impressive stick insect near Cape Tribulation. In the CP-paradise of the Kimberley near Kununurra, we film many plants and two bug-plant-mutualisms including a sundew with unusual characteristics, which we are delighted to find in cultivation on our return to Germany. We show it to an expert and Dr. Jan Schlauer explains the unique characteristics of the plant in an interview at the end of June. In December 2001, he describes the new species in Carnivorous Plant Newsletter as Drosera hartmeyerorum. This film offers an hour of exciting adventures on the successful search for carnivorous plants in Australia. It doesn't get much more adventurous than this!
  14. No, it has never dried out. If anything I wondered if it was too wet.
  15. It has dried out at some point.
  16. Hi.. Help please. I have 9 Neps and the other 8 are doing grand on my bathroom window sill.. This young Hookeriana however seems to be struggling and I have significant browning of leaves throughout etc. I have today taken it out of the soil it came in from the supplier and which to me seems quite boggy and dense. I have repotted into 50 / 50 sphag moss and perlite. Views / suggestions appreciated. Please note the white spots are from the perlite re potting stage. Thank you. Not a great pic.
  17. Ok thanks. Will have a look and see if we have an equivalent in the uk. Agreed on the field vs a greenhouse. While I try to use the stuff sparingly outside I see no real issues with indoor use.
  18. No idea about UK and USA, I'm in EU. I just looked and it's still commercialized, you can search for Corteva Closer. I'm not suggesting this one specifically, it's just the only one I know and used. Spraying a large amount of something in an open field regularly and using it in a small private greenhouse are two completely different things with very different impacts and consequences.
  19. Is “Closer” a US only brand? Can’t find it for sale in the UK and no mention of sulfoxaflor on the RHS website.
  20. I agree totally about the challenge. If having a big collection one don't have enought time to maintain was more important than having polinators that give us food on the table I would agree with the rest of your post.
  21. I strongly disagree, except if in "well grown" you include "regularly inspected". The problem is that if you don't eradicate them you keep having problems year after year, especially if you have a large collection. The only really effective molecule I found is sulfoxaflor, it was commercially available in 2019 as "Closer", I don't know now. Hopefully it's not a new victim of chemophobia.
  22. P. antarctica and P. nahuelbutensis are still in the collection. Keep you in mind for seeds in a few months.
  23. The first and most important thing is prevention. Well grown healthy plants do not get serious infections. I use neem oil for most of my plants, but never tried it on CPs. In mid summer, I put all my plants on a wild grown lawn. There are thosends of predators that will rince most pests. Throut the season I inspect and manually remove any pests. If I get infestations, I add beneficial bugs. For scale it is a bit complicated as there are so many different species and you need to identify species to get the right bug to fight it.
  24. I understand there are effects on wildlife and try to avoid where possible. What other natural methods are available to use? I have read about neem oil.
  1. Load more activity