magnifique plant
  3. Picavorus

Heated greenhouse insulation

That’s fab, thanks. I’ll definitely do that
  4. picol

When to pot up Saurmatum

Beautiful!!!
  5. Yesterday
  6. Oh, definitely tropical then! I keep my neps in my conservatory - temp down to 10 C min in winter. I'd put bubble up permanently in your g/h - will keep it more stable, maybe a double layer on the north side. Will act as shading a bit in summer too.
  7. Picavorus

Heated greenhouse insulation

Thanks Dunc, it’s mainly Neps and possibly a few tropical Drosera I’m wanting to keep in there. Due to space in the house I’m having to get rid of my terrarium but the greenhouse has arrived, so I’m just waiting on my friend to help me erect it.
  8. I use the big bubble stuff and can keep my 13 by 8 frost free with just a 30w tube heater in all but the worst weather. Have a bigger heater when needed but didn't have to use it at all this winter. The insulation stays up all year on the north side. You've less volumn but a higher surface area to volumn ratio so you'll have to see what works depending on what you mean by tropical plants. I'm happy to go down to about zero C. How much sun you get, what you have in as a heat sink, how exposed, etc will all differ. A smaller greenhouse can be less temperature stable and cool down rapidly.
  9. Platty

When to pot up Saurmatum

It flowered
  10. alexmh

New growth dying off - help!

Looks like I'll be getting the bug clear out, thanks for your help and I'll keep you posted.
  11. Natale

Generally when there are ants there is also cochineal, they love to hide in the dry parts of the plant.
  12. Since moving and having space, I’ve now obtained a 6x4 greenhouse (glass and aluminium) that we’re planning on heating for tropical carnivorous plants (although they do have to share it with my Mum’s orchids). What is the best way to insulate it? Summer time won’t be an issue but I’m thinking come winter time it will benefit from being insulated.
  13. Last week
  14. pirks

Ants love feeding from the sugary fluid greenflies produce so have a close look for them. As has been said it may be worthwhile giving it a spray with bug clear
  15. alexmh

Thanks all, I've just got home and found that the biggest shoot is also going brown. Got a bit of an ant problem at the minute, daft question but could it be anything to do with that?
  16. Marc

New branching

I have a nepenthe Alana (I think) that’s been vigorously growing for about four years. It has well over 100 growing tips with some tendrils over 20 feet in length. This year, after flowering in March, new branches started growing from a node just beneath the flower spike. As I’m not looking for seed I’ve cut off the flowers soon after they appeared fortunately the branches continued to grow on at least 50% of the growing tips plus all the other branching that develop normally. The new pitcher development is abundant A problem I’ve had in the past, I’m hoping not this year, is that although the pitchers last a long time, if fact many from last year are still alive and packed with insects, they (the upper half of the pitchers ) turn brown within the first 2-3 months. This doesn’t seem problematic for the overall health of the plant but it isn’t very attractive. Does anyone know a way to prevent it or at least stop it from happening this year - photo attached _
  17. Alexis

The poorly pitcher looks like something has nipped the bottom when it was smaller and damaged it. The other two look ok. I'd leave it and just keep an eye on how the two good pitchers develop. Worth giving it a quick spray with Bug Clear just in case.
  18. Natale

I don't think the plant has rottenness, I have always grown my plants with completely uncovered rhizomes in order to check if there are parasites especially cochineal; In your place I discovered entirely the rhizomes and I would remove all the dry, no need to repot, just remove the superficial peat in excess
  19. alexmh

Hi Natale, It's grown in a conservatory in North East England and we have had some sudden hot weather but this seemed to start before the weather changed. Should I also check the rhizome for rot/pests?
  20. Natale

Hi Alex, your plant is grown in home? Generally this behavior, if there are no obvious attacks due to insects, is typical of sudden changes in temperature / humidity. you can cut the dried ascidian too
  21. This is the Bau location not Kalimantan one. tips on Northiana: It grows in a airy peat soil with limestone underneath so it’s neutral in Ph. only grew next to limestone. grow on dry/moist side. it hit 35 Celsius easily humidity is 75% during day and 90% at night.
  22. Nepenthes in Sajingan ignore title of thread.
  23. picol

Need id

Thanks C. Cepha for the specification!!!
  24. alexmh

Hi all, Over the past week or so I've noticed that the new growth on my flava ornata 'Green Swamp NC' has gradually been going brown at the tips and dying back and the flower has a very short stem as can be seen from the attached pic. The plant has been great for the last 3 years and I repotted it into 50/50 peat/perlite last spring. Unusually, it tried to flower at the end of Autumn last year but after reading up on this I decided to cut it off as it would have depleted the plant of a lot of its energy - not sure if this has to do with the problems I'm having right now. Can anybody help me here? I'm hoping I can save my favourite specimen! Alex
  1. Load more activity