flatrock creek

Hi

Today We decided to check out a creek area sth of rileys mtn ( sydney / Australia)

We found the cps to be extremely prevelant.

we found the biggest spatualta we have seen so far a good 2 to 2 .5 inches across.

39a88068.jpg

The peltata where of the green rosette species

DSCF1088a.jpg

DSCF1089.jpg

DSCF1094.jpg

check out the lone red plant amongst a sea of green

( the green rosettes seem to not go red in the sun ) a big call i know but all the plants where green even in exposed sunny positions .

All that is except one ....

DSCF1092.jpg

DSCF1092c.jpg

some where beginning to form a stem

DSCF1105.jpg

DSCF1099.jpg

An example of the other local flora

DSCF1119.jpg

I also found a spatulata with a extremely long flower stem

DSCF1121.jpg

It had 13 flower heads

Heres my husband holding the flower stem

DSCF1122.jpg

A truly great spot for sundews

DSCF1090.jpg

regards Belinda

Looks like it was a nice sunny day in Sydney.

The Drosera spatulata plants look like they have been covered with a layer of soil. I guess some type of native animal has been rooting around amongst them.

Anybody got any ideas on the red peltata amongst the green -

seemed abit strange . No apparent reason , this was the only red form peltata in the area .

regards Belinda

You do get the odd strange form pop up every now and then. Can't really explain why though.

I actually have a feeling that these plants may turn out to be Drosera auriculata rather than D. peltata. Only time will tell.....

Tim, that's a Banksia spinulosa we don't have Leucospermum in Australia unfortunately.

Belinda, when the erect stems have reached around 20cms they will probably become identifiable. The Drosera auriculata that grow around Sydney can grow very tall- I've seen them over 50cms tall. The Drosera peltata however only grow between 20-30 cms. The 100% effective method of identifying each from one another is to check the sepals of the flowerbuds, D. peltata has hairs whereas D. auriculata doesn't.