Keeping Gibba

AndrewLuton

Having just obtained some Utch Gibba I was wondering how others here look after theirs. Unfortunatly at the moment I don't have a pond so it lives in a glass vase about 12 inches high, 6 inches wide with peat and stones at the bottom. It is in the shade to avoid alge growing but should I maybe move it to something else for the foreseable future?

Andrew,

If you have other CP growing in water trays, then these are a great place to introduce a bit of U.gibba.

It'll soon spread and produce nice yellow flowers.

The glass vase is a bit deep but other wise perfect, don't foget to put in some contaminated water to introduce food :-)

If it get lots of light you'll get algae, nothing can prevent that, even sterile water once exposed to the air will grow the stuff.

Putting some in your water trays a good idea you just don't get to see the plant itself until it flowers.

It is an easy Aquatic Utric, I'm trying some outside this year, if the birds leave it alone. :-(

It is living outside at the moment in the shade of a wall. I will maybe take a small cutting and put it in the water tray the VFT's sit in and ensure it stays well topped up. At least then it would get regular rain water added to it. Do they then need any special winter attention?

Thanks

Mine are just thrown into my watertrays in the greenhouse. I totally forget that they are there until the flowers emerge during summer.

In Britain some gibba may be hardy (??) As I said I'm trying that this year. If you have a greenhouse just put it in there and keep topped up, they are that easy :-)

I had a single strand in my Genlisea terrarium and ended up with enough to experiment outside after 6 months. Warmth and water and it romps away.

Not had flowers yet :-(

From what I have read the plant can freeze solid and start to grow again once it thaws out.

Mine grows in my 40 gallon fish tank. 2 watts/gallon, CO2, ferts.

• 2 weeks later...

I reccomend adding a water hyacinth (Eichhornia crassipes). I do a little volunteer work at Denvers Garden and I have noticed U. gibba always manages to get between the roots of the plant. We have not added the U. gibba on purpose but it seems to propagate well while with this floater. Just be sure not to introduce water hyacinth to wild ponds in mild areas. We also grow water lettuce with the hyacinth, but oddly, I have only found the U. gibba in the roots of the water hyacinth.

P.S. I don't know if they will flower with the water hyacinth but they propagate well. Also, I can use tap water as the hyacinth seems to 'soften' it. Perhaps because of its prolific nature?