Need help - Germination of different tuberous seeds

wilnadon

I realize I need to provide tuberous seeds with a hot stratification but I also know that that alone is not enough to get all species of tuberous Drosera to germinate. I was wondering if anyone (or everyone) could tell me what each of the below species need to germinate. For instance, does one need GA3, Smoke Treatment, Scarification, (etc) before hot stratification?

D. erythrorhiza magna

D. stolonifera

D. peltata

D. auriculata

D. gigantea

I have some seeds of all the above species and am going to give them a go this year. So, I need as much info as possible.

And one more question: How long should I give them a hot stratification? Some are telling me 4 weeks and others 8. What's worked in your experiences? Thanks!

William

OK, I'll have a go.

I do not have a great deal of experience with the germination of many species of tuberous Drosera but I can share what experience I do have.

D. peltata- no treatment necessary, will germinate well in cool conditions.

D. auriculata- see above.

D. stolonifera- just germinated some recently. I did not use any treaments such as GA3 or smokewater. The pots were sown in Summer and left to bake for a couple of months. Germination occurred when the temps decreased at night. The pots were kept in a cool shady spot after they were rewetted.

D. erythrorhiza- never tried this species from seed.

D. gigantea- haven't tried this myself but have heard many reports that it germinates quite easily with minimal treatment, often without any treatment at all.

That's all I can offer I'm afraid.

Hi,

Sean is right. I can do some additions: D. gigantea germinated quite readily like D. auriculata/peltata with high rates, just checked the small tubers. Then the second hardest species is D. stolonifera, but it depends much how fresh the seeds are and from which location they came. I had good rates on rather fresh seed from Harvey. D. erythrorhiza is very hard to germinate and from all species you got the one to try with some GA3 or smoke water.

Have fun, growing those species from seeds is VERY rewarding! It takes some time but is much better than putting a tuber in the ground and see/hope that it grows well.

Cheers,

Jan

After sowing the seed I let the pot wet and got some germination. A few days ago I seperated the seeds which did not germinate from the plants and put them in new pots. That pot will get a hot & dry stratification for the next few months, the seedlings will form tubers soon.

Jan

• 15 years later...
On 5/9/2005 at 1:15 PM, wilnadon said:

I realize I need to provide tuberous seeds with a hot stratification but I also know that that alone is not enough to get all species of tuberous Drosera to germinate. I was wondering if anyone (or everyone) could tell me what each of the below species need to germinate. For instance, does one need GA3, Smoke Treatment, Scarification, (etc) before hot stratification?

D. erythrorhiza magna

D. stolonifera

D. peltata

D. auriculata

D. gigantea

I have some seeds of all the above species and am going to give them a go this year. So, I need as much info as possible.

And one more question: How long should I give them a hot stratification? Some are telling me 4 weeks and others 8. What's worked in your experiences? Thanks!

William

How do you do the hot stratification??