Pygmy Weird Behaviour

Ellis

I have just in the last few weeks brought in all my pygmy sundews into my indoor terrarium.

A bizzare thig has begun to happen. They appear to be shooting new roots from the main cluster of traps in a ownward direction into the soil. Its as if their current roots are not sufficient enough to sustain the plants weight or other attributes.

I would describe the nre objects as root like in shape and range on differeing pygmies from white to red. Does anyone have a clue what on earth the little critters are up to?

Maybe it's a form of vegetative propagation. If you have The Savage Garden, look at page 148. The pygmy shown has gemmae but also what looks like a red "root" joining it to another much smaller pygmy.

So maybe you will get new rosettes.

Don't know if this is the case, I'm sure one of the experts will have a definitive answer.

Mick. :lol:

Hi,

These 'roots' that you have growing out of your Pygmy Drosera could actually be the 'Stipule Bud' forming.

This is usually a tight cluster of small 'hairs' white to silvery in colour (but I belive they do vary from species to species), this forms to protect the plant from the very hot Austrailian summers.

If this is the case you should allow your plants to dry out, and give them only a very small amount of water (not even enough to soak through to the surface of the pot from below).

Although then again what species/hybrid Drosera are you growing, because if you are growing D. scorpoides or D. dichrosepala. these growths may actually be new roots forming as these 2 form long (ish) stems as the plant grows.

I hope this helps you in some way.

Langy

Thanks for all the responses so far! The two pygmies acting this way are D. Lasiantha (my last one alive so I hope its beneficial) and D. Scorpiodes.

They really seem a lot more like roots and the scorpiodes that have developed them seem to have come out of summer dormancy.