Pameridea roridulae

Anyone know if it's even possible to special order these companion bugs for Roridula? I know there are issues of eco-balance importing non-native bugs into the USA but I'm sure they wouldn't survive the winters here in Oklahoma anyways. :-) I've noticed on two different websites that home-growers of roridula have somehow obtained and maintained colonies of these bugs on their plants, one of which was indoors in the mans house!! If they can get them, can I living in the states? and where?

I do not think that anyone has these insects in the states. Some overseas members cultivate the plants with the Pameridea(mainly in Germany).

I have heard that these insects cannot survive with the Roridula plant, but I am not sure on this.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have never seen bugs for sale and it does not make sence as they are kept best on plants. There is definitely no chance to post bugs for several days and allow live arrival, I once gave away a plant, the new owner killed all bugs accidantally but new larvae appeared after some weeks. So the eggs seem to have survived on the plant.

Usually I am giving away bugs but mostly during summer/autumn, keeping them alive during the winter you need regular feeding of them all 10-14 days and for me it means buying flies and maggots all 2 weeks. Last parcel was not packed properly and the maggots werre crawling in the post-wifes car ....

Back to the bugs: If you ever are in Germany and it is not spring visit me and you can get a starter packet of bugs. How you import them into the U.S. should be your own problem!

Regards

Stefan

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

I noticed female bugs of Pameridea roridulae (this is the black one living on Roridula gorgonias which today is the only Roridula bug that survived in German collections. All populations of the brownish coloured P.marlothii, which is naturally occuring on R.dentata broke down in cultivation several years ago for no obvious reason. :wink: ) lying their eggs directly into the young stems of the plant. They have an ovipositor (like many other members of the hemipterian bugs of the tribe Meridae, that's where Roridula and sundew bugs seem to belong to) which allows them to stick their eggs deep into the plant's tissue.

Thus it should be possible to send "inoculated" Roridula plants, as I guess the larvae won't develop from the eggs faster than the plant being shipped! (Maybe except you sent them with the Deutsche Post, Stefan! ;-))

Andreas