Sign in to follow this  
Belinda

Rileys Mtn -NSW

Hi

We decided to check out the rileys mtn area today -hopefully have found some different species to previous trips .

Anyhow -

Rileys mtn is an area in the blue mtns national park near mulgoa

The locals

DSCF0843.jpg

some of the drosera we found in a small wet area near the top.

DSCF0877.jpg

DSCF0876.jpg

DSCF0873.jpg

DSCF0851.jpg

DSCF0844.jpg

and two shots fairly close too each orther spatulata i think - hopefuuly the green one is some form of burmanii.

DSCF0875.jpg

DSCF0850.jpg

A photo taken not far from where we found the drosera.

The drosera where extremely thick - and we look forward to visiting this area again.

DSCF0857.jpg

regards Belinda hopefully you guys are not getting bored with my trip postings please advise if you are, no offence will be taken

Nice shots again Belinda.

OK, the first five Drosera shots are either D. auriculata or a green form of D. peltata. Almost impossible to tell until they form their upright habit. Those more familiar with the Sydney D. auriculata may be able to be more definitive but the form found in your area is quite different to those found in Victoria.

The 2 other shots are both D. spatulata I'm afraid. When you find D. burmannii you'll know immediately that it is a different species.

As an aside,Drosera(and CP) expert Robert Gibson comes from Mulgoa- it's no surprise that he came to love CPs judging by the plants you've found and the scenery shot you posted.

Please keep posting your fieldtrip reports. I can guarentee you that I'll never grow tired of them and I'm sure than none of our overseas members will either. Later in the year when things pick up in Victoria I'll be posting plenty of fieldtrip threads myself- as I have done in the past.

I agree with Sean, we can't get BORED with these field trip reports, just a bit envious :-)

Lovely shots Belinda, keep em coming :D

Thanks

for the replies ,glad you enjoy my field reports -even if unfotunately at this stage they are of reasonably common species .

The enviroment the drosera are growing in particlularly at this spot with the roos literally standing on sundews is beautiful and it is a pleasure to share the photos with all the orther members .

I cant wait to post reports when we go for overnight camping trips to the more remote areas of the national park and beyond.

Hopefully will find something strange and unusual.

regards Belinda

Hi Belinda,

Where is the Rileys mtn area? I did a google search and came back with not much, other than it is near Penrith...

If it is on the Sydney side of the blue mountains it is most likely D. auriculata but could be D. peltata "green rosette" (probably should be called D. aff. foliosa). But as Sean said you will not know untill they start to grow.

And keep the trips comming, I am getting keen to do some hunting down here but it is still a bit to early...

George

Wow, it's really beautiful over there!!!

The only thing you see over here in the Netherlands are houses, roads and cars ;)

Compliments!

Belinda,

Fascinating photos again. I like the kangeroos. Also, I find it curious how similar the peltate rosettes look to rotundifolias. Keep them coming!

Guest Sheila

I enjoy seeing your photos of the CPs and the amazing views, this time you even managed to fit in some of the local wildlife. Lovely, Keep them coming :D

Great pictures again Belinda. I always enjoy seeing habitat photos as it puts plants in context and gives me another reason to save the pennies towards a visit!

It strikes me taht the D. peltata or D. aur. seem to look similar to D. rotundifolia. Obviously they are nto but similar.

Hi Your right

Just looking at the icps rotundifolia seed growing page and the picture of a green rotundifolia from Austria is so much like the green rosettes i photographed its uncanny.

regards Belinda

Maybe the Aussieboys from Melb are wrong these are some rogue rotundifolia ive found :D:D:D:D

Thanks

for the replies ,glad you enjoy my field reports -even if unfotunately at this stage they are of reasonably common species ....

Hi Belinda,

I enjoyed all your reports and will not get bored of them in the future.

Even if you post only pictures of species very common in the respective area, I (and many others around here) will probably never have the chance to see these species in their habitat.

So keep them coming, I look forward to it.

Cheers,

Dieter