Wacky traps

BobZ

My "Wacky Traps" (aka "Bart Simpson") survived the winter and is starting to put out Spring traps. Yesterday I took the first photos with my new camera (Canon Digital Rebel) as a learning experiment (handheld autofocus). They are a bit crappy. Once I learn to use it, I will get better.

Anyway, the plant is about 3-inches across. The new Spring leaves have not yet fully developed or opened, but it looks like the first traps will be about 3/4 inch. I just noticed the strange location of the trigger hairs. This placement is consistent on all traps.

VFTWacky0009.JPG

Edited by BobZ

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Aidan
...it's still just as ugly and deformed-looking though.

Sorry Bob, but i have to agree with Vic. I'm sure that it will make fine compost!

Whenever I see a plant that looks similar, I start hunting for the aphids that have caused the damage! :mrgreen:

To each his own. No aphids, just a stable mutation. To me, it is one of the more interesting VFT forms, simply because it repesents an extreme. I really want to play with selfed seedlings, should I be so lucky. One of the fundamental ideas in science is that you generally learn more by observing the extremes than the average. To some of us, ugly is beautiful.

Guest Aidan
To each his own

True indeed! I think it is hard to beat a robust typical plant and the only mutant form that I really appreciate is "Sawtooth".

I really want to play with selfed seedlings, should I be so lucky.

I believe this plant is a TC sport(?), in which case you may be unlucky and the characteristics won't be heritable. You may end up with a fine crop of typical seedlings.

I believe this plant is a TC sport(?), in which case you may be unlucky and the characteristics won't be heritable. You may end up with a fine crop of typical seedlings.

Yes indeed. But that is what the fun is all about.

Guest Sheila

If I saw that in a tray of VFTs for sale, I would give it a miss. I love unusual plants, but these have a diseased look to them. They belong with the lidless neps, on the compost heap.

I seem to like all the mutation plants... since it is a mutation can't it be passed on? I would expect it to be a recessive trait, so has anyone every done an f2 of the cross of the t/c mutation plants?

This plant is quite rare in cultivation and fairly dificult to keep alive. Only a handful have sent up flowers and of those, many of the owners have chopped them off to keep from weakening the plant.

Although I've heard of a few w/ flowers, I've not heard of anybody getting seeds or anything beyond that.

I'd be curious if anyone has heard of more progress...

Hi Bob, some excellent pics from a first time on the new camera.

My Wacky Traps Bart Simpson is putting on new spring growth but is a lot smaller than yours, mine is just about 1 inch across, I tried feeding it live flies last year and it would close on them but would seem to open within 2 days.

Guys, It's a shame that every time someone posts a picture of a Dionaea mutant that the people that appreciate them have to defend themselves, I personally find some CP's boring and un-interesting but I dont keep on about it, I leave them to those who do appreciate them.

Trev :D

Guest Aidan

Trev - In this particular case there is a difference. Your own statement appears to confirm that this lab accident no longer functions effectively as a carnivorous plant. Had such a lethal mutation occured in habitat, it would soon have been weeded out of the gene pool. Most probably in a single generation.

I keep a lot of plants that I consider to be less than attractive - the dentate forms of Dionaea for example. I believe a collection should contain a representative sampling of plants in cultivation and not just the pretty ones. However, I do require of plants that they are fit for their purpose in their particular niche.

I don't care for the VFT in question, but why should a collection consist of plants the owner finds unattractive? Of course, if one is wishing to establish a National Collection, or is collecting for conservation purposes, aesthetics are irrelevant. But how many hobbyists, of any type, buy things for their collection that they find unattractive?

I've actually bought or traded for a bunch of plants that I wouldn't grow because I don't particularly like them. however they have some trait that I figure may come in handy and they get to stay for that reason alone. Breeding aside if I didn't keep them for the possible trait they may instal in offspring, then I wouldn't have them.

Sib

I don't see any reason why Bob should kill the plant just because it doesn't effectively kill and digest bugs, or because it's ugly. If ugly is criteria for death, I'd be dead. I'm also very interested in seeing how selfed seeds would turn out, or maybe crossed with red dragon? Good luck Bob!

• 1 year later...

My VFT "Wacky Traps" is now flowering. This spring it produced a huge scape that dwarfed the rest of the plant. If you do not think flowering takes energy from a VFT, think again. I let the poor little plant flower because I hope to get some selfed seed this year. However, the anthers have not yet produced ripe pollen and the stigma appears to be deformed. Time will tell whether viable seed will result.

VFTWacky4012.JPGVFTWacky4221.JPG

More photos are at

http://users.humboldt.edu/rziemer/zphotos/VFTWackyTraps.html

Edited by BobZ