U. tricolor, flowering at last!

vic brown

Worth the wait and frustration of a succession of aborted scapes throughout the summer. I'm not sure why this flower made it, when so many have failed, but I'm really glad it did.

Utricularia tricolor

tricolor1.jpg

tricolor2.jpg

Yipeee!

Vic

• 2 months later...

The aborted and drooping scapes is tpical of this species, unfortunately. A truly nice form indeed, from an incredibly variable and widespread species, with many forms worth cultivating.

Fernando Rivadavia

Well done Vic!

Is this plant flowering now? Where are you growing it?

Mine in the greenhouse finally produced half a dozen flowers in September/October but they are all distant memories now.

I only got the one flower, but it is still looking fresh after 2 months!

I grow it in a fairly deep water tray in my conservatory (min. temp. 8C) in a location that receives only a few hours direct sunlight each day. The amount of light my Utric grow space receives increased considerably when I chopped down a small conifer which was shading the area. This year I have been rewarded with more flowers on my plants than in previous years and put this down in part to the increased light. It has also been an exceptionally warm and sunny summer, which has no doubt played a part too.

Vic