Greenhouse bases

I have a small aluminium greenhouse for my CPs, with the company's own metal base unit. It currently stands on the patio, but we are moving in May and the new house doesn't have a patio big enough for a greenhouse. I was wondering what the best kind of foundations were for a greenhouse like mine? Can you place them on a gravel base or should the ground be paved? I would be very grateful for some advice. I am only keen to have the greenhouse up and running as soon as possible so that no harm comes to my precious CPs!

Hi Nick,

If you're just going to use it for CP's i'd try and keep it on a hard base like concrete or slabs as it will be easier to keep clean.

:-)

Jules

I would go for a concrete base, if you make it slightly larger you can grow other CPs on it outside the greenhouse. Concrete also acts as a heat sink, soaking it up during the sunshine filled day and releasing it at night :-) It is easier to keep clean inside as well.

I was wondering about placing it on a gravel base with a waterproof membrane underneath, but I'm worried it might still be a bit damp in the Winter. I only wondered about gravel because it sounds easy to do! If I use concrete I think I will have to get someone in to do it for me! I'm not really a handyman!

Hi Nick

i use the geo felt base topped with gravel as i grow neps and when slinging water all over the place it keeps humidity up.In my sarra g/house i have paving as humidity is not an issue.Not sure which is cheaper as i got everything from work so its up to you buddy 8)

Bye for now Julian

You need something of your choice which is solid for a base . And your greenhouse will need bolting down very well living in Sheffield you are more prone to stronger winds than most of other members who have already replyed to you . If I were you I would used stainless steel bolts or some other bolt that don't rust and use plenty , they are cheaper than buying a new greenhouse . gotcher

I strongly agree with Gotcher, especially in light of last winter here in the UK. I have a friend who found her greenhouse had gone over to her neighbour...without human assistance. Mine both have a gravel base but the cornes are bolted to concrete.

Leo

What others don't know .In sheffield you get more rain , wind and frost than most parts of england ireland and scotland , things like sticking it down might work for some but not you . You have to plant a plant proper and look after it or you lose it . It's the same with a greenhouse If you don't sucure it down wind will blown it away and your plants you then have a problem sake of abit of time and money.