Wilting Sarracenia

scottychaos

one of my friends sarrs is suddenly wilting for no apparent reason! :cry:

and..its one of the ICPS alabamensis too!

we are very worried about it..

its in a tray of water, just coming out of dormancy, it didnt dry out, but thats what it looks like..it looks wilted.

the pitchers and flower stalks look dried out..

its sitting next to the other alabensis, which looks fine.

contitions for both have been identical.

(and also a large purpurea, conditions also identical, is also perfectly fine.)

its indoors in a window..because its still winter here.

they will go outside in another few weeks.

gets bright east light.

here is a photo of the actual plant.

the wilted one is in the foreground, and the normal alabamensis is behind it..

http://gold.mylargescale.com/Scottychaos/temp-wiltedsarr.jpg

the wilted plant does have a small "normal" pitcher that is pushing up from the other end of the rhizome..but all the new growth suddenly wilted!

3 flower stalks, not yet open, and one pitcher, also not yet open..all wilted suddenly yesterday!

anyone have any idea what is going on?? :cry:

thanks,

Scot

thanks flytrapKid and Alvin,

no, no little rhizome borer droppings..so thats good.

He has had the plant several years now, since whenever the ICPS alabamensis program was..

3 years ago or so.

I think its in pure peat, which is maybe getting a bit dense.

well..something is obviously wrong..so I think an emergency repotting is in order..

I have some fresh peat/perlite mix at home, I will bring it in tomorrow and we will repot it..(the plant is at work)

meanwhile, please post any more thoughts or ideas!!

should we consider repotting the other alabamensis as well?

even though it looks fine right now?

if something is wrong with the medium of the wilting plant, it seems likely the same will also happen to the other plant..

all their conditions have been identical..

thanks,

Scot

Could be a root problem. There are no brown root droppings on the rhizome are there? I would dig the plant up and sit it in water for a few days before repotting it in fresh peat.

Alvin,

just curious, but why "sit in water for a few days"?

what is the reason for that?

thanks..

I just talked to Jeff (the owner of the plant)

He says they were repotted either last spring, or maybe 2 years ago..

in pure peat.

I cant imagine one or two years is a problem..I have sarrs that have gone much longer than that without repotting..

its also significant (I think) that it wilted green..

it didnt yellow first,

it was normal yesterday morning, then suddenly wilted that afternoon..

very quick decline, virtually instant, not gradual at all..

distilled water in the tray the whole time...

he also said he filled it up (the tray) a bit higher than normal last thursday because we had a 3-day weekend for Easter..there was still water in the tray on Monday..

I also cant imagine that filling the tray higer would effect a sarr..they can take higher water levels just fine..

seems unlikely, but could that possibly be a factor?

thanks,

Scot

just curious, but why "sit in water for a few days"?

what is the reason for that?

thanks..

Just to eliminate any pests that might be responsible. It doesn't work for everything, but sarras can survive a few days under water whereas any nasties might not.[/url]

he also said he filled it up (the tray) a bit higher than normal last thursday because we had a 3-day weekend for Easter..there was still water in the tray on Monday..

I also cant imagine that filling the tray higer would effect a sarr..they can take higher water levels just fine..

seems unlikely, but could that possibly be a factor?

Scot,

I don't see any problems arising from a higher water level. I live in Oregon and we have pretty heavy rain at times. A few of my smaller plants end up being submerged for a few days and I've never seen any problems. I've also seen photos of plants in the wild growing for periods under water.

If the plant just wilted it seems like a heat issue. If it looks like it shrivelled at all it may be a fungus or rhizome rot. I'd repot it and check the rhizome for firmness. Sometimes a plant will show no symptoms and just "give up". Hopefully that's not the case here.

Jeff

I guess you have your plants exposed to temperatures above 10 degrees Celsius and in combination with a shortened photoperiod the plant will look wilted. It is too hot for its dormancy.

Jan

its not dormant.. SUAVE.GIF

its been coming out of dormancy for 6 weeks now.

it was dormant November-February..

its definately not too warm.

it has been at a constant 70 degrees F (21C) for over a month.

(its indoors in an office building, waiting for winter to end so it can go back outside..the plant's "spring" started in mid-February..unfortunatly Rochester, New York's "spring" dosent begin until April or May)

Scot,

I don't see any problems arising from a higher water level. I live in Oregon and we have pretty heavy rain at times. A few of my smaller plants end up being submerged for a few days and I've never seen any problems. I've also seen photos of plants in the wild growing for periods under water.

If the plant just wilted it seems like a heat issue. If it looks like it shrivelled at all it may be a fungus or rhizome rot. I'd repot it and check the rhizome for firmness. Sometimes a plant will show no symptoms and just "give up". Hopefully that's not the case here.

Jeff

well, its very definately not a heat issue..

its something wrong with the rhizome and/or the media..

we will dig it up and have a look! and repot into fresh media..

I guess thats the only option,

thanks everyone!

Scot

I will report tomorrow what we see...eusa_think.gif

I am sorry to tell you, but your plant is dead. Thats typically what happens with fungal diseases inside the rhizome; sometimes you cannot see what is happening underneath

I am sorry to tell you, but your plant is dead. Thats typically what happens with fungal diseases inside the rhizome; sometimes you cannot see what is happening underneath

Mike,

im not so sure about that!

Jeff took it out of the pot and rinsed away all of the peat..

all the roots are very white and healthy.

BUT..the growing tip, with the flower stalks and pitcher that were wilting, felt mushy and seemed to be rotting..

there were also no roots under that side of the rhizome..

so he cut off that entire end of the rhizome, probably 1/4 to 1/3 of the rhizome, leaving all of the healthy white roots and what appears to be a new growing point at the other end..

basically only cutting off the rotting growing tip.

so now the rest of the rhizome looks quite healthy..

of course you could be right..there could be a fungal problem inside the WHOLE rhizome..in which case the plant is a goner, like you said..

but the rest looks totally fine to me, so I still have hope..

is it possible for just a portion of the rhizome to rot?

and the rest remain healthy if the rotted end is removed?

I believe I have read about that in many dofferent places.

I suppose that all depends on what is causing the rot in the first place..

if its an internal or external cause..

and we dont know that..

well, the surgery has been done, now we wait to see if the patient pulls through..

Scot

Scot,

If the part you cut away has a "brownish" color to it, it was rotting. You generally need to cut all the way back to firm, all white rhizome to keep the infection from spreading. Any remaining brown color indicates the infection is still present.

I've had rhizomes with healthy looking roots but the inside was brown and rotten.

Sometimes it's tough to know a plant is giving up until it's too late. I have saved plants by cutting away the rot, but it seems to be about 50/50 for me if the remaining rhizome will make it.

Good luck,

Jeff