N. rafflesiana ?

Nicolas de Lyon

Hi,

a friend of me has just bought this nep in a new garden center. It was ID as N. rafflesiana, but I'm dubious because of the slim shade of the top of the pitchers.

img2331b0kj.jpg

img23337dg.jpg

img23361ag.jpg

I think it's a raffl hybrid, but whitch ? I've searched on the CP photo finder, I've found that :

Nepenthes 'Red Skelton' (D'Amato) [[((mirabilis*thorelii)*mirabilis)*(thorelii*((northiana*maxima)*(rafflesiana*ve

tchii)))] registration preliminary (standard missing)

http://e.domaindlx.com/Vertigo1/Images/Pla...stPitcher-1.jpg

http://home.petflytrap.com/users/vertigo/i...her_forming.jpg

What's your advice ?

I second the N. x Coccinea theory. N.rafflesiana is one of the parents/grandparents hence the mislabelling. Nepenthes producers often label their plants by simply calling it one of the parent plants to keep the exact cross a trade secret. Great Nep all the same.

Regards Neil

Yes, Nicolas, it's x coccinea and not rafflesiana (Tu devrais le savoir :D )

(Tu devrais savoir ce que je pense des hybrides, mon Kamou. Suffit de voir ma liste :D )

Thanks a lot for your replies, guys :D

Bzw : I know x coccinea is quite common, but... I don't interest in hybrids, so... I dont't know them ! :D

I think Coccinea has some Mirabilis in it, and definately that hybrid appears to be a Mirabilis Hybrid of some sort.

Yes, it says so here [(rafflesiana*ampullaria)*mirabilis]

Hi all

Species wise: coccinea and wrigleyana are the same. What i am not sure of is whether the types of mirabilis, rafflesiana and ampullaria are the same in both hybrids.

another name for N. X Coccinea is N X compacta or N X Stewartii

Wrigleyana seems to be a different type of hybrid using the same species, but perhaps from different varieties in each case.

Gus

Another area of possible confusion and another reason I dont overly like hybrids is that with the same three parent plants you have three combinations with different percentages of genes from each parent plant and therefore three distinct hybrids. Granted the name should make it clear which is the dominant parent, but the nomeclature is frequently done in a sloppy manner.