Drosophyllum first winter

flycatchers

Hi

This is the first winter for my Drosophyllum. It is growing in my cold/cool house with my Sarr & Ceps etc. I have been careful with the watering and it is getting full sun (when its out!) and good ventilation.

Over the last week or so the older taller leaves are dieing off and its lost its upright growth. The new unfurling growth looks ok with plenty of dew. I know it does not technically stop growing in the winter, but would these last few extra cold weeks cause it to stop growing and not look quite so happy. As its survived till now don't want to lose it so close to spring :tu:

cheers

bill

Hi

Here is a current photo:

Drosophyllum.jpg

I have moved the plant into my neps house where it is warmer. There is still a small amount of dew on the base of the newer leaves. What do you think?

cheers

bill

Hmmm. I do not like the look of the leaves that droop mid-leaf for both the unfurled and the newer unfurling leaves. Those leaves also look a bit discolored beyond the droopiness. The lush green moss suggests perhaps a bit too much water? I realize I am shooting from the mouth (fingers), but something about the look of that plant concerns me.

Oh- not good news :cry:

Its not been standing in water but guess my estimation on watering was too generous. Another Drosophyllum I had last summer was far drier and that collapsed as well :lol:

Any last ditch attempts I can try to save it? Or should I wait till spring and see if I can locate some more seeds and try again..

cheers

bill

Guest Sheila

Theres no harm in trying to save it, but I wouldn't be too hopeful. All you can do is try to keep it drier and see if it shows any sign of recovery. How have you been watering it? Drosophyllum don't like their collar wet so it is safest to water from below unless it is Slack potted.

I like to grow Drosophyllum like cactus. Lots of sun, low humidity during the daytime, and not too much water. Usually the surface of the soil is completely dry and the soil at the bottom of the pot is barely moist.

Theres no harm in trying to save it, but I wouldn't be too hopeful. All you can do is try to keep it drier and see if it shows any sign of recovery. How have you been watering it? Drosophyllum don't like their collar wet so it is safest to water from below unless it is Slack potted.

Hi Shelia

Yes I water it from below. I normally add enought water for it to take up and them leave it for a while. Though not long enough perhaps? I did grow another one in far drier conditions and that seemed to fair far worse and died before the winter. This one was looking ok till a fortnight ago, which is why I was wondering whether cold rather than water was causing its downfall. Its warmer now and getting drier, so fingers crossed :lol:

cheers

bill

Hello Flycatchers,

I live in Holland and just now, some Drosophyllums plants are coming out of the snow. The plants are looking fine! The plants were snow covered for serveral days and exposed to -13 C. Therefore, Drosophyllum is much more tolerant what most people think. Drosophyllum does not like to be dry frosted and often dies due to fungus attacks. In the winter months the immune system is not effective. I suggest you disturb the plant as least as possilbe. It looks a bit withered but that is normal during winter. To make sure that the plants is not attacked by a fungus, you can spray a fungicide over the plant. It will surely recover!

Regards,

Jan