Sign in to follow this  
Nick1234

A time for everything...

Do you re-pot in early March? It's just that some of my Sarras in my frost free greenhouse seem to be showing signs of early re-growth and I was wondering if I should start re-potting now? On the other hand I don't want to jump the gun. Any advice? Thanks.

When you say re-potting, do you mean potting up large plants into more spacious pots, or splitting off root divisions?

Given the nature of the beast, I think you're alright to do either, although around now or even a bit earlier would be better. I've already done the few divisions that I had planned. This time of the year, when the plants are dormant*, is the best time to do it. Less of a shock to the system.

* or supposed to be. I've read that some folks' dormant CPs are already coming back to life!

Guest Aidan

Thread moved to Pitcher Plant forum.

Taken from this earlier thread:

http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=218

Sarracenia are pretty tough and it appears that you can divide them more or less anytime. However, there are two schools of thought on when is actually the best time to divide them.

The first is late winter (as Mike said) when the plants are still dormant. This is the method I favour as the plant has time to recover before the new growing season starts.

The second is in spring when the plants have boken dormancy and are showing active signs of growth. I have done this but find that it can retard growth.

Simple repotting may be carried out at anytime.

Guest David-G-uk

I potted up some sarra rhizomes recently

and being my first time potting sarracenia im getting a bit worried i did it wrong

i did some with half the rhizome above the surface of the compost

and some covered with the compost

which way is the best?

and could i re-pot if it is wrong?

thanks

I potted up some sarra rhizomes recently

and being my first time potting sarracenia im getting a bit worried i did it wrong

i did some with half the rhizome above the surface of the compost

and some covered with the compost

which way is the best?

and could i re-pot if it is wrong?

thanks

I tend to put mine with about half the rhizome above the surface. The plants will find their own level, species like minor and oreophila will burrow down below the compost level of their own accord. On the whole, I feel that most Sarracenia rhizomes prefer to feel some sun on their backs, but this is not vital