Cephalotus powder

Alexis

It's a powdery mildew, a fungus. Cephalotus are quite prone to it, though I don't know if it can be fatal, it certainly knocks their growth back a bit. Some growers have reported reasonable control with sulphur. I cleared mine up last year with Scotts 'Fungus Clear' which comes ready mixed in a gun (active ingredient = Penconazole, a fungicide specific against powdery mildew), it had no obvious toxic effects on the Cephs and the mildew hasn't come back. I seem to remember some other Forum members have also reported good results with this product on Cephs as well.

Vic

My Cephs have been standing in water all summer, so the compost is permanently wet.

It certainly did not look like mildew as I understand it. The effect was of a white crystalline deposit on the leaf surface.

Hi all:

Last year, i had white powder like substance on one of the leaves of my ceph plant. It took me a while to realize tha it was coming from the edge of the lid from a pitcher sitting on top of the non carnivorous leaf, the lid was somehow being eaten away by the same culprit. So i used a sulfur-based fungicide, and now the plant looks so energetic and healthy.

Agustin

• 1 month later...
Thanks Langy. I don't have a garden centre near me in London so B&Q is my nearest source of gardening bits & bobs :)

As I seem to live in the neck of the woods where even B&Q did not keep it , I eventually got it on-line at http://www.chulmleigh-hardware.co.uk/

It cleared up the mildew in double quick time :)

cheers

bill