cephalotus

chrisbrown1978

Hi has anyone got any good recipes for potting media for a cephalotus

also when is the best to repot these plants also also any other helpful tips would be great

Regards

Chris :?

I agree with Stephen, a free draining media is best. I added a little LFS to mine too, about 2perlite:1 Peat:1 LFS.

I transfered mine directly from a 3inch pot to an 8 inch, 3/4 terracotta pot, using a 3 inch pot to make a hole. That way I disturbed the roots as little as possible.

I also set mine on a small mound, about 1cm high, so any 'wet' runs down away from the crown.

They have over-wintered fine, even with the odd, unintentional, top watering :-)

There seems to be a debate on how to water these plants and the following observations are only from my experience. Most literature seems to stress that these plants usually fail if kept too wet however many growers Cephs seem to thrive being kept in the tray method.

My first Ceph was kept in the tray method with the water being allowed to evaporate before being topped up. It lived for about 4 months before turning yellow and keeling over. Luckily I took several leaf and pitcher cuttings before this and these are luckily still thriving. I now keep all my plants as I would Nepenthes and only water from above trying not to water the crown although this occasional does happen.

Cephs are happiest in oversized deep pot and this also reduces the risk of drying out completely, another no no. Another advantage to this is that given side room they are more likely to produce plantlets giving you even more plants. Could anyone ever have enough Cephs?

Potting the plants on top of a mound as mentioned above is also a great way to keep the crown from getting too wet. I hope I haven't jinxed my plants by saying all of this but these methods seem to work for me. I'm sure some clones are much better at withstanding being waterlogged for longer periods of time but I think why take the risk. Anyway happy growing and hope this has been some help.

Regards Neil