P. 'Weser' Care Over Winter

David Stanley

I'm going into my first winter with a P. 'Weser' and wondered how best to ensure it makes it out the other side!

Currently, I have it on a north-east facing windowsill standing in a water tray which I keep topped up with around an inch of rainwater. So far it seems to be thriving!

Should I reduce or even stop the amount of water I give it over winter?

Incidently, I know this plant is a hybrid but not sure whether the parent plants are Mexican butterworts or not. Technically, what type of butterwort is it classed as?

Cheers,

David

• 2 weeks later...

These hybrids are quite forgiving regarding the conditions. I tried almost anything you can think of....

I might have shown this picture before:

Fettkraut%20und%20Palme.jpg

This is at my parents home in some summer or autumn, but I have some plants of this hybrid in some palm pots as well. They do fine, flower and divide often. They are tolerant to drier conditions (all seasons), high and low light levels are tolerated, even light frost does not do much harm.

The parent plant was given to me under the name of Pi. 'Weser'. Currently I am very sure it is a different hybrid, but that does not matter much. I do not grow many pinguicula which are easier to grow than this one.

To answer one of your questions: I would generally keep the substrate just damp. If the plant forms a winter rosette, keep it a little drier, but do not worry too much about it. It will be fine in any way.

Cheers,

Dieter

No, it's anything but one of these two. I grow a plant labelled Pi. ' Sethos' which very much looks like it is supposed to.

Nevertheless, that hybrid does a good job of adding color into these palm pots.

Best regards,

Dieter