Utricularia calcifida and livida

Guest kayaker78

Guest kayaker78

I am trying to determine how many different varieties and localities of Utricularia calcifida and livida there are. Any help would be very much appreciated. I am also curious to know if anyone is growing any forms of U. sandersonii other than the standard of blue forms?

Thanks

Currently I have:

calcifida:

‘Yog-sothoth’

'Mrs. Marsh' (in mail)

'Gran Sabana' (in mail)

'Alba' (in mail)

'Asenath waite' (pending trade agreement)

regular? (pending trade agreement)

livida:

U. livida bettys beach

U. livida Durban, SA

U. livida Merriwuk, Natal SA

U. livida Purple Eye

U. microcalyx (unverified)

Guest kayaker78

Carnivorous Plants Of The World is fairly useless for Utrics, I have a copy of Taylor's monograph coming in mail within a week but Im not sure it will help tell me what is in cultivation.

What I would like to do is aquire as many forms of livida as possible and see which are the same/different in an effort to eliminate any confusion. I am also pondering purchasing a disecting scope and trying to cross some of the different variants. Im also thinking calcifida would be a good place to start practicing making crosses as it appears others have been successfull at doing it.

Anyone from South Africa reading this? I would be interested in hearing from someone who has seen livida in the wild. I would like to know how much variation is seen in wild populations.

I might browse through Bobz's site tonight.

There is a plant labelled Ut. microcalyx in culture which is a very nice Ut. livida form. Additionally, I grow a Ut. livida from Rwanda which has nearly brown leaves. No flowers so far, however.

I am sure, there are Ut. livida from many other locations in culture as well.

Best regards,

Dieter

Guest kayaker78

Thanks for the information,

I should add Ut. microcalyx to the list of what I am currently growing, as I probably have it. I had left it off as the plant I received was very small and in very rough shape, it seems to have recovered well but it will be a long time before I see flowers to verify the ID.

Dieter, do you know of any source in the US for the U. livida that you are growing from Rwanda?

Dieter, do you know of any source in the US for the U. livida that you are growing from Rwanda?

Not really, I found someone here in Germany growing it.

Anyway, I played myself with the idea of making pictures of my different Ut. livida forms and then try to find more different ones . I am waiting to get a couple more forms into flower and then I will try to realize that. Currently I have a 'white flower' (which is not completely white, but almost), 'type Mexiko' and a 'Durban' in flower plus another form coming from some garden center without any additional information. The flower is not much different from the other forms listed above. The "Ut. microcalyx" seems to be a shy flowerer for me but is sending up a first flower stalk. The Rwanda form grows well but no flowers so far. If it flowers, I might be able to supply you with seeds later on.

The differences of these forms seem to include the growth rate´, leaf colour (e.g Rwanda form), number of flower on each flower stalk and the number of new flower stalk per time unit. I am hoping to find more differences in flower colour just like for the "Ut. microcalyx". If you are interested, using the search function you should be able to find flower shots from this variant in almost any forum you search - usually related to the discussion whether that plant is a real ut. microcalyx or a ut. livida form.

I have a similiar problem in getting my hands on the Ut. calycifida cultivars you guys grow in the US. Recently, I finally obtained a white flowered plant which also has not flowered yet.

Best regards,

Dieter

• 16 years later...

As a grower that stays in South-Africa, U.livida is one of my favourite Bladderwort species, there are huge variations in colour, inflorescence length, size of leaves etc. In SA, it grows from from sea-level to above 2000m in the snow/frost line.

Flower colour varies from pure white albas, to the darkest complete purples (Drakensberg MTS) and everything in-between.

Regards,

Jaco Truter