Sign in to follow this  
uglypho

Drosophyllum in Temecula

Hello, It's been a while since I posted. I would like to know if the Dewy Pine can be grown outdoors in Temecula, Southern California. I would say my climate is an intermediate between desert and mediteranean. I do get intense sun here with low humidity, but I heard the Dewy Pine has a rep for favoring dryness. On average, it rains about 14 inches here from November-May. Days with 100 degrees F heat and 5% humidity punctuates the summer seasons and in the event of an offshore wind. Here is a chart of my climate for your comments:

Month High Low Average Humidity (min.-max.)

January 71.7°F (22.1°C) 40.3°F (4.6°C) 52.9°F (11.6°C)35%88%

February 68.2°F (20.1°C) 42.2°F (5.6°C) 53.0°F (11.7°C)45%93%

March 72.7°F (22.6°C) 45.6°F (7.5°C) 57.1°F (13.9°C)45%93%

April 73.0°F (22.8°C) 47.6°F (8.7°C) 58.6°F (14.8°C)50%95%

May 79.5°F (26.4°C) 53.3°F (11.8°C) 64.3°F (17.9°C)46%94%

June 83.4°F (28.5°C) 56.5°F (13.6°C) 68.1°F (20.1°C)44%94%

July 89.9°F (32.2°C) 60.2°F (15.7°C) 72.9°F (22.7°C)34%90%

August 91.7°F (33.2°C) 61.5°F (16.4°C) 74.3°F (23.5°C)31%89%

September 90.3°F (32.4°C) 58.9°F (15.0°C) 71.8°F (22.1°C)31%87%

October 82.7°F (28.2°C) 53.0°F (11.7°C) 64.9°F (18.3°C)41%91%

November 75.8°F (24.3°C) 44.5°F (6.9°C) 57.3°F (14.0°C)41%86%

December 71.3°F (21.8°C) 38.9°F (3.9°C) 52.2°F (11.2°C)44%92%

An alternative would be to grow them on my windowsill wich gets enough sun for peppers, pitchers, pygmies, and many other cp's. Will this be enough sun for the dewy pine?

My Drosophyllum has been growing well on my South facing windowsill for several months now. The person form whom I bought the plant told me that as long as the glands are red when the leaves are unfurling, the plant is getting enough light. As for general growing conditions, look no further than the Best Carnivorous Plants website, which has an excellent article on Drosophyllum cultivation & how it grows in the wild. Also, the Dutch grower who sold me my plant told me that he grows some plants outdoors in Holland all year. Holland gets pretty cold & damp in the Winter. As for summer heat, Andalucia in Southern Spain, which is one of the areas in which the plants grow naturally. gets extremely hot in the summer, as I can testify as I've been there several times.

Thanks Greg, I will probably grow the plant on my windowsill. As for scarification goes, are there any parts of the seed in which I should not sandpaper, and to what extent do I abrade the seed?

Thanks,

P.S. Next thing I need is the seed itself!

I would have thought that Drosophyllum should perform really well outside all year in the dry, virtually frost-free, mediteranean climate of S. California. It's climate is much closer to their natural climate than that experienced indoors on a windowsill.

Vic

They grow like weeds just north of their, although there hasn't been a frost this year yet. There will almost without question be a few light frosts, so I hope they can handle them.

The plants I saw in habitat near Ubrique in S. Spain certainly experience light ground frosts at night, but by day the temperatures quickly rise to above 10C in winter.

Vic

They are not bog plants and grow in very low humidity in habitat. These two old scanned pictures (before I had a digital camera) taken in Spain in February 2002 show what a dry, rocky habitat they can grow in.

Dros%20Site.jpg

Dros2.jpg

Vic

I think Vic's pics ( :) ) also do a great job of showing just how much light these plants normally get. Certainly makes me think about how much mine get.

Bruce

Bruce, I agree with you on that one. The sun in Southern Spain is so fierce that in the UK I imagine that even the sunniest positions receive far less light than Drosophyllum usually receives in the wild.

Very important pics by Vic!

I let one of my two get rained on, and I note that it looks nice. I think that the occasional rain is probably good for cleaning this plant.