Mr

Johna

Hi

i make terrarums and would like to get into carnivorius plants, any suggestions for a short type pitcher plant that would grow in a terrarium, without a lid obviously, venus and drosera type would be fine im guessing but saracinea get too tall im thinking of height less than 23 cm, it will something like an open top 25cm cube so big opening

any help would be great

Edited by Johna

Well, pitcher plants is only sarracenia, nephentes and heliamphora. Sarracenia is a temperate species so they are out of the picture. Heliamphora is one option, but they like slightly colder than house temperatures. Especially a night drop is important. The last option is nephentes, most of them grow way to big for a normal terrarium. But it takes quite a long time. You can get a juvenile plant from any low land nephentes and keep it in there for a few years. If it outgrows the tank just upgrade.

You mention Venus flytrap and drosera as well. Althou not called pitcher plants, I will add a comment about them as well. Venus flytrap is a temperate species and cannot be grown in indoor conditions. Drosera is a family growing in all parts of the world. They are in everything from alpine conditions to hot tropical. The south african summer growers is the best ones for terrarium. Drosera capensis beeing the best beginners option.

19 hours ago, Tropfrog said:

Well, pitcher plants is only sarracenia, nephentes and heliamphora. Sarracenia is a temperate species so they are out of the picture. Heliamphora is one option, but they like slightly colder than house temperatures. Especially a night drop is important. The last option is nephentes, most of them grow way to big for a normal terrarium. But it takes quite a long time. You can get a juvenile plant from any low land nephentes and keep it in there for a few years. If it outgrows the tank just upgrade.

You mention Venus flytrap and drosera as well. Althou not called pitcher plants, I will add a comment about them as well. Venus flytrap is a temperate species and cannot be grown in indoor conditions. Drosera is a family growing in all parts of the world. They are in everything from alpine conditions to hot tropical. The south african summer growers is the best ones for terrarium. Drosera capensis beeing the best beginners option.

Hi

ok thats a good bit of info, i have an idea now what to do, i guess most tropical ones will be fine for an indoor bog garden instead of terrarium

thanks

Well, Nepenthes do not do very well in a bog despite beeing tropical.

I would suggest for an indoor bog: some mexican butterworths (pinguicula), some south african sundews (drosera) and some tropical bladderworths (utricularia). None of them called pitcher plants but makes a nice display anyway. Go for the easiest and cheapest species to start with. Good luck!

Br

Magnus 

Edited by Tropfrog

16 hours ago, Tropfrog said:

Well, Nepenthes do not do very well in a bog despite beeing tropical.

I would suggest for an indoor bog: some mexican butterworths (pinguicula), some south african sundews (drosera) and some tropical bladderworths (utricularia). None of them called pitcher plants but makes a nice display anyway. Go for the easiest and cheapest species to start with. Good luck!

Br

Magnus 

Ok sounds good thanks again for the advice