Plants and UV light

1 hour ago, mantrid said:

most plants require wavelenghs in the blue and red part of the spectrum

I would think that all plants have very similar photosyntesis action spectrum. Blue and red is the most powerful waveleangths but not the only ones utilized. The only ones less important seems to be green, UV and IR.

Br

Magnus 

49 minutes ago, BeyBlade said:

I think it is not normal for a plant to grow without UV light.

Obviously all plants in situ gets uv light so in that sence it is normal, yes.

Most plants grown in greenhouses or in indoor setups do not get any uv. So in cultivation it is normal to grow without UV.

Most growers grow plants far bigger and healthier than in situ plants. That gives a hint that UV, normal or not, is not a key in success.

Br

Magnus 

• 4 months later...

Well. If it was important for surviving, we would not be able to grow plants in greenhouse, terrarium or indoors. Fact is still valid: most of us grow plants far bigger and far more healthy than insitu without uv light.

If it was absolutelly necessary for the plants, there would not be many greenhouses sold. But in fact, in most temperate regions plants grow better in greenhouses than outdoors.

Obviously outdoors in the sun is allways best. However, I and many with me don't have the opportunity to grow many CP species outdoors. My collection would freeze to death in winter. So I keep growing my plants without uv light and just don't tell them that it is important to them.

To go back to the initial question. I would recomend polycarbonate greenhouse. In my experience it smoothens out temperature swings. Don't need shade cloth in mid summers. Don't break easily. And is a cheaper alternative.

Br

Magnus