the largest?

Zongyi_yang

hi, does anyone know what ultricularia plant has the biggest bladders? i heard that some can swallow fish? :wink::wink:

also, does anyone know of a utricularia aquatic plant that grows a maximum size of about 5 cm in diameters and is hardy inough to grow in a water tray? thanks. Zongyi

U. humboldtii & U. arnhemica have the largest traps. It is only small fish fry that they can swallow. U. dichotoma also has pretty large traps and is easy to grow.

U. gibba, inflata will grow in water trays so long as they don't dry out, as will U. nelumbifolia. Possibly U. intermedia also, but I'm not sure.

Giles

oh, and is U. dichotoma U. humboldtii and U. arnhemica aquatic or terristial?

and how large does a u. gibba get? can i trim the plant if it gets too big for my water tray?

thanks. Zongyi

U. dichotoma is terrestrial from Australia, liking a hight water table. It's an easy grower, and just needs to be kept frost-free in winter.

U. humboldtii grows in the water trapped in the leaf axils of some large bromeliads - as does U. nelumbifolia - but also on wet moss in the highlands of Venezuala/Brazil. It can be tricky. Pure non-compacted and well-aerated sphagnum moss is the usual medium. Keep the moss fresh with watering. Some people keep the water level at the top of the pot. Temperatures from 10C-30C, though I understand it prefers temps to hover from 20-25C, with high humidity. It also has the largest flowers in the genus. Judging from it's habitat, it ought to be able to cope with being grown "bare root" in the water tray. Anyone tried this? (it can be hard to get hold of plants, which are not cheap - http://www.bestcarnivorousplants.com is where mine came from, but the plants are quite small - Wistuba also stocks it I think).

I know nothing of U. arnhemica (excpet that it's from Australia), and would like to know what type of plant it is.

U. dichotoma grows and flowers very well planted in peat/sand submerged under several inches of water, although you are best establishing it terrestrially first so the peat doesn't float upwards. U. nelumbifolia grows fine in a water tray and doesn't need any special conditions - it is a very easy species.

U. gibba is fairly filamentous, so you won't need to trim it at all. U. inflata gets quite big in the right conditions, but so long as it gets some light it will be OK creeping around in a tray - it just won't look very good.

Giles

U. arnhemica is a terrestrial, probably annual according to Taylor. You would have to get seed for this guy as I know no one growing it and I have been looking for over 3 years. That said, seed for most Utricularia are rather difficult to germinate especially if they are not fresh. If anyone out there is growing this plant or knows of a source of fresh seed please drop me a line