Sarracenia Sun Exposure

chj93

So after an extended hiatus of several years I’m now nearly back in a position to start growing Sarracenia once again. I’ll have to try an experiment this year as this has always interested me but has anyone ever seen how much difference there is in a plant’s growth and vigour that’s grown in say 6 hours of direct sun, compared to 8 or 9 or even 10 plus? I’ve always been fortunate enough to be towards the end of that scale.

For the record I’m talking about growing in a greenhouse. I’d be interested to see the results of taking two or more of the same clone alongside a control plant and controlling the levels of sun exposure to each to observe differences in pitcher robustness, height, colour etc

How much sun do your greenhouses get and are you satisfied with your plants growth habits?

It's a bit difficult to quantify. Obviously the maximum available hours changes month by month and most will grow no problem and no less vigorously with less than optimum hours of sun.

But maximum sun hours gets you onto a whole new level of colouration you just don't get if they're in shade for any part of the day.

You can also give leucophylla what you think is plenty of sun and a lot of clones will just refuse to grow autumn pitchers, even though they seemed happy enough churning out spring ones.

• 1 month later...

The hours the actual plant receives definitely affects the size and vigour. 6 to 8/9 is a big difference in the UK. If they don't receive enough direct sun, the plant will slowly decline over the years and get smaller. The greenhouse may receive the sunlight, but it has to hit the plant directly throughout the day to benefit. Being shaded by surrounding plants makes a big difference.

Edited by Dino Belvedere