Mixed Species Containers? Biotope?

Wort

Hi, I'm thinking of creating a large container with several Species of terrestrial Utric's. My intention is to use up to six different species in a natural styled display. Then I would like to see what happens. Ideally I would like a water meadow stuffed with Utricularia spp! I recognise a truly natural, balanced display is very unlikely, but this kind of gardening appeals to me.

I would like to know if any of you mix Utric's this way? Do you mix just any Species that take your fancy from a similar climate? Or do you put them in groups based on location. eg Australian biotope, African biotope?

Looking for tips, advice, ideas or any comments you can give.

Cheers from Bill.

I think they would do fine together. Honestly, as long as they aren't too aggresive it should be fine. I would avoid SANDERSONII. That's pretty much it. Do keep in mind that some of them are more aggressive and may shade out or crowd out others.

Utricularia like livida, subulata, bisquamata should do fine together. I'd think most of them would do fine, except calcyfida or sandersonii.

2 hours ago, Sedumzz said:

I think they would do fine together. Honestly, as long as they aren't too aggresive it should be fine. I would avoid SANDERSONII. That's pretty much it. Do keep in mind that some of them are more aggressive and may shade out or crowd out others.

Utricularia like livida, subulata, bisquamata should do fine together. I'd think most of them would do fine, except calcyfida or sandersonii.

What’s wrong with sandersonii? It doesn’t self Seed.  Subulata  and the weedy bisquamata are the ones to  avoid. 

Hi there. Thanks for the help guys. Subulata and bisquamata were not on my shortlist anyway. I'm currently edging away from a biotope style display; so many lovely plants, why limit my choice to one continent? I doubt I could find out which species occur in the same individual bogs anyway, so it wouldn't be a true biotope.

Not sure about sandersonii, I like the little white flowers. I will look carefully at that one anyway.

Cheers from Bill.