Jonny O

Hi I've recently joined on behalf of my 5 year old son, Elliot. He's obsessed with carnivorous plants and is taking me along for the ride. I've joined the society and ordered some seeds but have had no confirmation on either of these. Is this normal? There's not been any activity on the website for a long time.

I'm in two minds as to wait it out for a bit longer or to recall my money. I've not had any confirmation that the membership process has started our anything.

Has anybody else had a similar experience?

I'm hopeful that this forum and the society as a whole is a vibrant, supportive community. I've not grown anything like these plants before, and will need some top tips!

Regards

Jon

Edited by Jonny O

Hi and welcome! How nice to hear you are so supportive to your son. This is a very addictive hobby. Hope both of you will enjoy.

There are both good and bad sellers out there. It is always best to buy from reputable people in the hobby rather than companies, however there are exceptions to that rule as well.

There are a lot of good sellers that sell from own production here at cpuk. I think there are a time limit for which members needs to be active before the sales and wants section opens. At least it was when I joined.

Br

Magnus  

• Thanks 1

Hi Magnus thanks for your reply. We're both excited to start growing some plants next year. We've heard or local park has native sundews there but didn't see any when we looked in November. 

The seeds we ordered were from the CPS website, we got the 4 free packets and an extra 2. The money has been taken but not heard anything from CPS at all. Nobody is responding to the contact us form and the treasurer email address is bouncing back my email. :sad:

I'm glad that this forum is active, this is where the good stuff happens:yes:

Cheers

Jon

Hi Jon

all the native sundews will be dormant at this time of year and will have reduced greatly in size  - as will native butterworts.  They will reappear in the Spring.

Generally speaking, carnivorous plants are slow to produce mature plants from seed (years in some cases) which is likely to be frustrating for a 5 year old!

Please PM me If your son would like some freebie sarracenia (north american pitcher plants).  These are also dormant but will return to growth in the Spring.

There are some growing guides on the CPS website which offer some good advice.  

cheers

Dennis

• Thanks 2

If you want to grow sundews from seed. Get yourself some capensis seeds. They grow to almost adult size in a growing season, but cant stand much of frost. Its a coupple of euros spent and you can shoose between protecting them in winter or just treat them as anuals. Anyway, that seems like a better option to inspire a kid.

Br

Magnus 

• Thanks 1

I believe the CPS are a little stretched and they do work as volunteers so patience is a virtue. I have some drosera scorpioides Gemmae I can spare. It's my first time harvesting so they may or may not work but I can send 10 Gemmae if you'd like to try. They do take root after a few weeks.  planted some recently and most are growing.

Welcome by the way :)

@Paul O'Keeffe

Thank you for the offer. I am happy to be growing a range of plants. I've managed to get some drosera capensis seeds but some scorpiodes would be great. I'll DM you with the details. Very happy to pay for postage too.

I'm so glad I've found this forum full of welcoming generous souls.

Regards

Jon

@pirks

Hi, that's a very good question. I think we stumbled on a video on YouTube of a Venus flytrap tap but my son's favourites are the sundews. He's really into nature and science and when he gets interested in something he goes all in. 

We live near a park that has native rotundifolia but not found any yet. 

Thanks for the welcome everyone :thanks:

Regards

Jon

11 hours ago, Jonny O said:

@Paul O'Keeffe

Thank you for the offer. I am happy to be growing a range of plants. I've managed to get some drosera capensis seeds but some scorpiodes would be great. I'll DM you with the details. Very happy to pay for postage too.

I'm so glad I've found this forum full of welcoming generous souls.

Regards

Jon

Hi Jon,

My Plant that I harvested the Gemmae from and the new growth. Plant is from - https://www.hccarnivorousplants.co.uk/collections/drosera-pygmy-species/products/drosera-scorpioides

scor.PNG

• Like 1