Hello one and all

Les24

Now that I am retired  and walking round a garden centre. I thought I would try and keep some carnivorous plants. I went a bit mad or maybe a totally mad and brought 6 plants. 

one Pinguicula Tina. Two Drosera capensis. Two Nepenthes monkey cups. One Venus flytrap.

I have an unheated greenhouse that I have been putting them in the day and bringing them into the house at night apart from the Pingguicula Tins which I have keeped in the house all the time. I have re-potted them into deeper plastic pots and just water them with distilled water.

Now this is where I need your advice on how to take care of them over the winter. I have put some photo's of the plants for you to see.

Than

20211022_091149.thumb.jpg.b13850240b439826f6ac84d870afa1b0.jpg

20211022_110541.jpg

• Like 1

Welcome Les

All except the Nepenthes should be Ok in the greenhouse over winter as long as the temperature doesn't get much below zero Celsius for too long.  The Nepenthes won't tolerate such low temperatures over the winter, so keeping them indoors is best.

VFTs are particularly hardy and I've had them frozen solid for a few weeks in winter and still bounce back the following spring.  Amazing!

Watering should always be by filling the tray with distilled or rain water during the summer and keeping the plants just damp over winter.

Hope this helps.

Guy

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Guy said:

Welcome Les

All except the Nepenthes should be Ok in the greenhouse over winter as long as the temperature doesn't get much below zero Celsius for too long.  The Nepenthes won't tolerate such low temperatures over the winter, so keeping them indoors is best.

VFTs are particularly hardy and I've had them frozen solid for a few weeks in winter and still bounce back the following spring.  Amazing!

Watering should always be by filling the tray with distilled or rain water during the summer and keeping the plants just damp over winter.

Hope this helps.

Guy

Hi Guy

Thank you for your advice and help with this. I will start leaving them in the greenhouse except the Nepenthes. I am watering them with distilled water. and have started to just keep them damp.

I think I have a lot to learn, but worth it in the end.

Cheers for your help

Les24

On 10/25/2021 at 10:13 AM, dennisB said:

Hi Les

go to the Carnivorous Plant Society website at www.thecps.org.uk and have a look at the growing guides.

HI dennisB

Thank you for your help I have been on the website and printed the ones of to have a good read and learn a bit more about the plants. Quit an interesting site. I have a lot to learn, but I think well worth it in the end.

Cheers for your help

Les24