Humidifier recommendations

Tilkifox

I think its time to invest in a humidifier! 

I have a ventrata, gaya, bloody mary and lowii x ventricosa, a few sarracenia and a vft.

My humidity is around 30-40 daytime and 50-70 evening but I think it would be better a bit higher. They're in a smallish room that's south facing.

My only issue is, they're in my living room so I would prefer something that isn't too big or noisy but I also want something that regulates itself (if that makes sense).

I have no clue what to look for and would really welcome some advice :)

20210807_230502.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This is the one I eventually bought and it's working really well so far!

A bit pricey at just over £70 from Amazon but keeps the humidity at a steady level!

Having the warm mist feature is also really handy as sometimes the cool mist can be a bit chilly.

I've been using the cool mist at night and the lowest warm mist during the day.

It gets through quite a bit of water though (maybe 2-3 litres a day) but I get RO water from Spotless Water at 3.5p a litre so it's not too expensive. 

20210820_060242.jpg

• Thanks 1

Wow, 3.5p/litre.  An amazing price!  My local aquarium shop charges 14p/litre.

I've just looked Spotless Water up.  There's one about a mile or so from me.  Definitely worth a visit.

Thanks for the info, Tilkifox.

Guy

I got the lowii/ventricosa and the bloody mary from them... Great plants and very healthy!!

The ventrata was from Amazon, and surprisingly healthy but the Gaya was a disaster.

It also also from an Amazon seller (after the ventrata was so good) but it was meant to be a bloody mary!! It also took quite a bit of damage in transit. Finally bouncing back now though!

On 8/10/2021 at 10:20 PM, Greg Seed said:

This is what I use:

https://puremate.co.uk/product/puremate-pm-908-digital-ultrasonic-cool-mist-humidifier-with-ioniser-aroma-function-black/

You can set the humidity to anywhere between 40 and 75 and it comes on as necessary. 

How much water does your humidifier drink a day Greg?

1 hour ago, Paul O'Keeffe said:

How much water does your humidifier drink a day Greg?

Depends on the weather. I keep all my neps in a south-facing conservatory which heats up a lot when it is sunny, but stays very cool when it is cloudy. On a hot, sunny day, both humidifiers can drain their 4 litre tanks in a day. With more typical Welsh weather, they can last a week.

Incidentally, I've been using fairly hard tapwater in them for over two years with no problems. I just clean the plate with the little brush that came with them every now and then.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Greg Seed said:

Depends on the weather. I keep all my neps in a south-facing conservatory which heats up a lot when it is sunny, but stays very cool when it is cloudy. On a hot, sunny day, both humidifiers can drain their 4 litre tanks in a day. With more typical Welsh weather, they can last a week.

Incidentally, I've been using fairly hard tapwater in them for over two years with no problems. I just clean the plate with the little brush that came with them every now and then.

I'm in Oxford and mine are in a south facing conservatory too. Fairly small though. 

I keep my humidifier at 75% overnight and 60% during the day and it's never turned off.

At the moment I go through 2-3 litres a day but I'm sure when the heating goes on it will be more. The tank on mine is a 6.5ltr tank...

As far as hard water goes, because my conservatory is used as a living room, I made the decision to use RO water to stop the dried deposits from using my VERY hard tap water from damaging furniture and sofas etc. (Just based on reviews and recommendations really)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tilkifox said:

I'm in Oxford and mine are in a south facing conservatory too. Fairly small though. 

I keep my humidifier at 75% overnight and 60% during the day and it's never turned off.

At the moment I go through 2-3 litres a day but I'm sure when the heating goes on it will be more. The tank on mine is a 6.5ltr tank...

As far as hard water goes, because my conservatory is used as a living room, I made the decision to use RO water to stop the dried deposits from using my VERY hard tap water from damaging furniture and sofas etc. (Just based on reviews and recommendations really)

Yeah, that radiator in your photo is going to play havoc with the plants! Are you able to move them away from it when it starts coming on?