I am running short of water because it hasn't rained for ages. I have a couple of de-humidifiers that produce suitable water for carnivorous plants but they need to be working for several hours a day to produce sufficient water. I don't really want to keep them running.

I have seen several advertisments for domestic water filters - these claim to remove total dissolved solids and other impurities. Is water from these suitable? I live in a hard-water area.

Terry.

Not sure what you mean by a "domestic water filter".  A further explanation would be useful to know what sort it is.

Quite a few people, including me, use a Reverse Osmosis unit as a "spare" in case of rain water shortage.  You can also use them for producing "pure" drinking water.  The water that comes out of my RO unit is <20 ppm as measured by my TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) Meter - you can buy them on Amazon - and I live in a hard water area.

It is generally regarded as important to use water with <50 ppm TDS for carnivorous plants, so if your "domestic water filter" does that, then it should be OK.

Kind regards,  Rob

Or contact your local aquatic shop and ask how much they charge for RO water.  Mine charges 70p for 5 litres. Less for larger quantities.

Guy

I use the water from our two dehumidifiers which are on 24 hours a day (obviously they only run when the humidity gets above a set limit as we live in a bungalow.) I use it occasionally when we haven't had rain for a while and my stock of rain water is running out. I check the toss every time I do this and it has always been 20ppm

13 hours ago, pirks said:

I use the water from our two dehumidifiers which are on 24 hours a day (obviously they only run when the humidity gets above a set limit as we live in a bungalow.) I use it occasionally when we haven't had rain for a while and my stock of rain water is running out. I check the toss every time I do this and it has always been 20ppm

Then is should be fine to use that.  Better get storing it for a "non-rainy" period!

Kind regards,  Rob

Edited by RobH

Thanks for your comments. The 'domestic water filter' I have in mind is one of those plastic jugs with a filter that you can get for £20-£30. Some have a TDS meter and say to change the filter when the reading gets above 006ppm.