Repotting larger VFT help

Hi,

I have just bought my very first vft!

I have sarrs and neps but never had a vft!!

As you can see from the pics, it's a fair size (12cm pot) with lovely looking traps but I'm worried about the sketchy looking substrate (and would love to put it in a nice fancy pot!)

Is it a bad idea to pot it at this time of year and how do you repot without setting off/damaging the traps?

Another quick question, I've read conflicting reports about feeding them. Some have said if you don't feed them insects (or they don't catch enough) they will die... is this true?

Sorry if the questions are a bit silly but I would hate to kill it by doing something stupid :(

20210605_172036.jpg

20210608_201140.jpg

Hi,

If it was me I'd leave it until next Spring. If the plant is kept outside or in a greenhouse it should catch enough for its needs. If on a windowsill you may need to feed it with a foliar feed once or twice a month in the growing season (D'Amato "The Savage Garden" pg 86).

And no, there's no way of repotting without setting off the traps. If done in the Spring it'll grow new traps very quickly anyway. See

as an example of how to do it.

Happy growing.

Very nice looking plant, great purchase.

I'd be tempted to leave it as it is until summer has finished and dormancy sets in.  The plants in there look really healthy.

However, you can re pot these now if you want.  Gently tip the pot to release the compost and the plants growing in it.  Then slowly tease apart the separate plants.  It looks like you have at least 5 in there.  Pot each one up in its own pot in fresh compost and stand in a tray of water.

You'll find most, if not all, of the traps are triggered.  Not perfect, but not fatal.  The traps will reopen and the plants will survive.

As to feeding, don't worry too much.  Healthy plants like yours will get plenty of energy by photosynthesis.  If you want to feed them then you could try catching small house flies and putting them in the traps.  VFTs need the flies to be alive and moving to persuade the traps to completely close.

Good luck!

Guy

Thanks guys for responding...

I'm super happy with it and although a new pot would be nice, it seems so happy now that it would be a shame to upset it.

Think it's probably best left until spring.

I'm assuming the dormancy would be the same as it is for sarrs?

I normally put my sarrs in a north facing porch and they over-winter great...

5 hours ago, Tilkifox said:

Thanks guys for responding...

I'm super happy with it and although a new pot would be nice, it seems so happy now that it would be a shame to upset it.

Think it's probably best left until spring.

I'm assuming the dormancy would be the same as it is for sarrs?

I normally put my sarrs in a north facing porch and they over-winter great...

Yes, I leave all my sarracenias and vfts in the same g/h over winter.