Repotting larger VFT help

Tilkifox

Hi,

I have just bought my very first vft!

I have sarrs and neps but never had a vft!!

As you can see from the pics, it's a fair size (12cm pot) with lovely looking traps but I'm worried about the sketchy looking substrate (and would love to put it in a nice fancy pot!)

Is it a bad idea to pot it at this time of year and how do you repot without setting off/damaging the traps?

Another quick question, I've read conflicting reports about feeding them. Some have said if you don't feed them insects (or they don't catch enough) they will die... is this true?

Sorry if the questions are a bit silly but I would hate to kill it by doing something stupid :(

20210608_201140.jpg

20210605_172036.jpg

That plant looks very happy. No need to repot at the moment. 
In winter, when it's dormant, you can repot it. It'll spilt into at least three plants easy.

Insects act as fertiliser. They photosynthesise like any other plant so can survive fine, but will grow faster and larger if catching insects.

Edited by Alexis

Thanks for all the replies :)

I'm going to hold off repotting until after dormancy (or at the end of it)...

Question though... I would prefer not to split the plants up as I would rather have a larger display bowl of them... Would it be better to plant the plants further apart to allow for growth?

As you take the old compost off the plants you'll find the offshoots come apart really easily.

If you want a large display then your best bet is to separate the offshoots from the mother and put them in a larger container a couple of inches apart.  When they make traps next year the container will be full of them.  Plus they'll have room to make even more offshoots!

Guy

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2021 at 9:34 PM, Tilkifox said:

Thanks for all the replies :)

I'm going to hold off repotting until after dormancy (or at the end of it)...

Question though... I would prefer not to split the plants up as I would rather have a larger display bowl of them... Would it be better to plant the plants further apart to allow for growth?

thats right.. dont have to repot at all.. i only repot if roots come out of bottom of pots if anything..and remember only rainwater/deionized/distille/reverse osmosis water and if your lucky living in a soft water area ...dam you all :D

• 1 month later...