Drosophyllum again after 8 years

maxxima

So happy to have this magnificent species once again after 8 years...Last time I had 5 adult flowering plants but all of them died when I had to go on a workshop for a month, the plant keeper had them too dry.

Once again I have about 5 young plants. This time I'm experimenting with media, temperatures; reading articles online and trying to have more control over their growth to find the perfect conditions.

I am also in a different region now (hotter) so things are already different.

droso01.jpg

droso02.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Fabrice Reolon said:

hi

and why aluminium paper around the pot?

fab

I believe it is used to reflect sun rays in order to reduce pot heating. I do the same but using reflective scotch.

1 hour ago, Carnivor said:

I believe it is used to reflect sun rays in order to reduce pot heating. I do the same but using reflective scotch.

Yes exactly. The area I'm in right now is getting very hot. Aluminium foil makes a difference of about 10+ degrees in soil temperature and makes a more stable change.

• 2 months later...

This plant seems to be a magnet for little nocturnal moths, I have to admit I find it almost a little sad.

It also recently caught a big damselfly, must have been an accident ? What a horrible place to consider resting on...

droso01.jpg

droso02.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 5/14/2021 at 11:17 AM, maxxima said:

Totally forgot how successful this plant is...

droso03.jpg

This why its my fav carnivor plant.. the amount of insects it can catch in a day is amazing ..which is probably associated with this strong scent it has