old Utricularia seeds

PofW_Feathers

Utricularia longifolia “multi-flowered scape” Araponga, Minas Gerais state, Brazil

When Fernando-san was studying abroad at the University of Tokyo, he kindly gave me a lot of Brazilian cp seeds. The seeds are 20+ years old now. I sowed one of them on February 19, 2021. I confirmed the germination of a couple of seeds on April 20th. The photo was taken on April 25th. The final germination rate may not be very good. But I can see some other seeds that the insides of them have turned green colour, I expect them to germinate. I will post this progress here. Maybe I will sow other Utricularia species seeds he gave me as well. I will post about them here if they germinate. The seeds were stored in the refrigerator, so this may not be a rare case, though it is very interesting to me.

Kind regards from the Far East

P.S. I soaked the seeds in 1000ppm GA3 (gibberellic acid) solution for 24hrs.

P4250023.jpg

P4250028.jpg

P4250024.jpg

P4250022.jpg

• 1 month later...

Update: Utricularia longifolia “multi-flowered scape” Araponga, Minas Gerais state, Brazil

The photos were taken on May 25th.

There are seeds that are likely to germinate from now on, but they will not be able to be separated, so I would transplant them.

In the first place I didn't count how many seeds I had sown, so it's not appropriate to mention germination rates. But to put it bluntly, I'm satisfied.

There are still a lot of seeds because I just sown a part of the packet. Then I would like to pick up seeds that look decent appearance and examine the germination rate.

P5250001.jpg

P5250003.jpg

Edited by PofW_Feathers
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...

Hi PofW_Feathers

I'm amazed your seedlings are looking so healthy from 20 year old seed.

Amazing.

I though I was pushing it with the 10 lots of seeds I forgotten I had at the back of the refrigerator for three years (Sowed today) . Lol

Look forward to your next update.

• Like 1