Please help drosera identification

Argo88

Good morning!

A friend bought a genlisea and in the pot has born this sundew.

It grows in a terrarium.

my friend think it is only a very common spatulata.

It is very very slowgrowing plant and I think it could be a South American sundew.

Could you help me in identification? I’ve only two photos of the plant.

Thanks a lot!

5A0EE357-8149-4ECC-A1B7-97D8EF4DAA03.png

BA75A140-72D8-4240-808E-B7D9B6B299E0.png

That looks like D.tokainensis to me.  I don't know any South American Drosera that looks like the one on the photo.  With a little imagination, it could look a bit like D.esmeraldae, but I don't think so.  D.esmeraldae from the D.capillaris complex is a very small plant with maximum of 2-2.5cm in diameter and is very rare in culture. Almost all available plants or seeds are D.spatulata or something from the D.natalensis complex. I'm going to commit to D.tokainensis.  The flower also looks like it.  D. spatulata mostly blooms white and not pink.  The leaves (lamina) are also more spatulate and not rounded.

• Thanks 1

Just a suggestion.  Could it be D. spatulata the spoon-leaved sundew?  I am not an expert but those leaves do appear spoon shaped and it appears very similar to my D. spatulata.  However, I do know that D. tokaiensis is D. (spatulata x rotundifolia) so there are very clear similarities between tokaiensis and spatulata.

Kind regards,  Rob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks a lot, Darwiniana and Rob! I only grew drosera spatulata “Ahipara Gumfields, Northland, New Zealand” and it had longer and narrower leaves, so I’ve tought it couldn’t be a spatulata ... maybe another spatulata form or tokaiensis as you say!! ;-)

Here are two sets of photos that may help identification:

Drosera tokaiensis

Drosera spatulata

D. spatulata seems particularly variable with perhaps slightly narrower leaves while tokaiensis seems to have more rounder leaves probably from rotundifolia.  Having looked at all the photos carefully, it would appear Darwiniana is probably correct with his tokaiensis suggestion.

Kind regards,  Rob

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RobH said:

Here are two sets of photos that may help identification:

Drosera tokaiensis

Drosera spatulata

D. spatulata seems particularly variable with perhaps slightly narrower leaves while tokaiensis seems to have more rounder leaves probably from rotundifolia.  Having looked at all the photos carefully, it would appear Darwiniana is probably correct with his tokaiensis suggestion.

Kind regards,  Rob

Hi Rob! Thanks a lot for your help and very useful photos:tu:!!

• 2 months later...